25 year old hard drives benchmarked with ReadSpeed!

• Release Candidate 6
    Guest:
    We are at a “proposed final” true release candidate with nothing known remaining to be changed or fixed. For the full story, please see this page in the "Pre-Release Announcements & Feedback" forum.
    /Steve.
  • Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

Tig77

SpinRite Customer
Dec 29, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,

For fun, I thought I'd copy the ReadSpeed executable over to my old Pentium 100 MHz (which I still use at least once a day!) root directory, exit out of Windows 95 and restart in MS-DOS 6,22 mode and bypass my autoexec.bat and config.sys files by hitting F5 during boot. ReadSpeed benchmarked my two drives, one a Maxtor 3.2 GB and the other a Western Digital 1.2 GB, if I combined both of those it would be smaller than a modern USB thumb drive! :giggle:

Anyway I thought just for fun, I'd share my results from my blazing fast old reliable drives:
Code:
  +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
  | ReadSpeed: Hyper-accurate mass storage read-performance benchmark. rel 1 |
  |  Benchmarked values are in megabytes read per second at five locations.  |
  +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Driv Size  Drive Identity     Location:    0      25%     50%     75%     100
---- ----- ---------------------------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
 80  3.2GB Maxtor 83201A6                  7.1     6.4     5.2     4.9     4.5
 81  1.2GB WDC AC31200F                    3.0     2.9     2.9     2.8     2.7

Benchmarked: Tuesday, 2020-12-29 at 20:04
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
   See the ReadSpeed forums at forums.grc.com for help and community support.

It took a good 10-15 minutes to benchmark these drives. The Western Digital drive is a few years older than the Maxtor. The Maxtor is partitioned into a 2 GB and a 1.2 GB partition due to Windows 95a's older file system not supporting drives over 2 GB. It's just incredible the speed difference of modern drives, but my old computer didn't feel slow back in the day!

I still use SpinRite on these drives every once in a while, and I honestly think they enjoy the workout! :giggle:

Happy New Year!

Shawn

• Wow
Reactions: Barry Wallis