how to disable beeping while attempting to recover a sector

• Release Candidate 6
    Guest:
    We are at a “proposed final” true release candidate with nothing known remaining to be changed or fixed. For the full story, please see this page in the "Pre-Release Announcements & Feedback" forum.
    /Steve.
  • Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

taomoon

May 2, 2023
I have several drives in a bad state and I am currently running SR61 on them. SR beeps continuously using the motherboards onboard speaker while attempting to recover a sector. Is there any way to disable this function either vie the GUI or from the CLI? The tiny little speaker on the motherboard makes the most awful sound when beeping. I cannot even unplug it as it's soldered to the board. Any insight would be appreciated.

Tao

Reactions: Aaron M
Hi TaoMoon (@taomoon): Yes. Depressing BOTH SHIFT keys at the same time will toggle SpinRite's sounds. While it's muted you'll see the tag “(quiet)” posted in the upper-right corner of the screen.

If you always wish to run without sound, you can start SpinRite with the token "quiet" on the command line. This will start it in quiet mode, and you can then toggle sounds on and off with the SHIFT keys. (y)

Thank you. I'd just encountered this after learning about the pre-release from SN959 and my wife was not thrilled at the noise emanating from my office.

Thanks Steve for all the work you (and the team of testers) have put in to 6.1.

Aaron.

Reactions: Steve
Hi TaoMoon (@taomoon): Yes. Depressing BOTH SHIFT keys at the same time will toggle SpinRite's sounds. While it's muted you'll see the tag “(quiet)” posted in the upper-right corner of the screen.

If you always wish to run without sound, you can start SpinRite with the token "quiet" on the command line. This will start it in quiet mode, and you can then toggle sounds on and off with the SHIFT keys. (y)
Thank you!

Reactions: Steve