Wow; What a differences

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

aszajlai

Sep 26, 2020
Nice site; and wanted to see if I can throw the new version even beta at some of my hardware. To help expand testing. Not having much luck with 6.0; DOS or otherwise. Still trying...

Also thanks for the CPEs with SN and being part of my daily walk.

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
@Steve you probably need to make a big BOLD post at the top of the forum space explaining what UEFI is and why some people struggle with making your DOS based utilities and SpinRite boot. I think this will head off a lot of frustration and anger. You should probably have that same text somewhere in the path of those people actually attempting a purchase of SpinRite to save arguments and disappointment... ?

Vela Nanashi

\//\/
Sep 16, 2020
I wonder if anyone makes a loadable bios for UEFI, that could be used to load BIOS needing OSes and software on a UEFI machine. That would be kinda a cool thing if it existed.

aszajlai

Sep 26, 2020
@Steve you probably need to make a big BOLD post at the top of the forum space explaining what UEFI is and why some people struggle with making your DOS based utilities and SpinRite boot. I think this will head off a lot of frustration and anger. You should probably have that same text somewhere in the path of those people actually attempting a purchase of SpinRite to save arguments and disappointment... ?

Not really either (angry or frustrated); As I read your post; and those on the original site about not having a trial version. If a trial of just getting as far as booting and loading the drive information with none of the menus past those steps. In my words; would have allowed me to see if this would work on my gear. If this helps; more than happy to try or test.

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
Not really either (angry or frustrated); As I read your post; and those on the original site about not having a trial version. If a trial of just getting as far as booting and loading the drive information with none of the menus past those steps. In my words; would have allowed me to see if this would work on my gear. If this helps; more than happy to try or test.
@aszajlai : We will soon have the “ReadSpeed” DOS benchmark to verify that DOS can boot and run on a specific system. Until then, the “InitDisk” USB format and prep utility at: https://www.grc.com/initdisk.htm will do the same thing if you use it with the “freedos” command-line option. If it preps a USB device and you're able to boot to a DOS prompt, then SpinRite will definitely be able to run, too. (y)

Reactions: PHolder

aszajlai

Sep 26, 2020
@aszajlai : We will soon have the “ReadSpeed” DOS benchmark to verify that DOS can boot and run on a specific system. Until then, the “InitDisk” USB format and prep utility at: https://www.grc.com/initdisk.htm will do the same thing if you use it with the “freedos” command-line option. If it preps a USB device and you're able to boot to a DOS prompt, then SpinRite will definitely be able to run, too. (y)

@Steve - thank you will try that. I for some reason read that different as it did that by default. Now that explains why I had issues with the USB key.

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
@Steve, can we possibly have a "hidden link" version of InitDisk with the FreeDOS option enabled by default? It could be called InitSRDk or something. We could link to that version here, without needing to explain the extra step every time. Or SRPrepDK or MkSRBoot or something...

danlock

Sep 30, 2020
Unfortunately, Gibson Time is similar to Valve Time (google it if you don't know that term) in that it's inherently unpredictable. :unsure:

Warwagon

Sep 20, 2020
Non-EFI spare workstations FTW! I have 2 setup for this exact reason. Then again, I run a computer repair business. Here is 1 of them. I particularly keep machines that are EXTREMELY friendly with booting off USB. (Some are finicky). I have another system on the left.

If you are wondering why there is a faucet to the left, my office is in the basement and it came with a furnished kitchen down there. So I have them on the counter.

1608401420965.png