Will SR take advantage of a faster CPU?

• SpinRite v6.1 Release #3
    Guest:
    The 3rd release of SpinRite v6.1 is published and may be obtained by all SpinRite v6.0 owners at the SpinRite v6.1 Pre-Release page. (SpinRite will shortly be officially updated to v6.1 so this page will be renamed.) The primary new feature, and the reason for this release, was the discovery of memory problems in some systems that were affecting SpinRite's operation. So SpinRite now incorporates a built-in test of the system's memory. For the full story, please see this page in the "Pre-Release Announcements & Feedback" forum.
    /Steve.
  • Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for some very handy tips!

/Steve.
  • BootAble – FreeDOS boot testing freeware

To obtain direct, low-level access to a system's mass storage drives, SpinRite runs under a GRC-customized version of FreeDOS which has been modified to add compatibility with all file systems. In order to run SpinRite it must first be possible to boot FreeDOS.

GRC's “BootAble” freeware allows anyone to easily create BIOS-bootable media in order to workout and confirm the details of getting a machine to boot FreeDOS through a BIOS. Once the means of doing that has been determined, the media created by SpinRite can be booted and run in the same way.

The participants here, who have taken the time to share their knowledge and experience, their successes and some frustrations with booting their computers into FreeDOS, have created a valuable knowledgebase which will benefit everyone who follows.

You may click on the image to the right to obtain your own copy of BootAble. Then use the knowledge and experience documented here to boot your computer(s) into FreeDOS. And please do not hesitate to ask questions – nowhere else can better answers be found.

(You may permanently close this reminder with the 'X' in the upper right.)

mappo

Sep 25, 2021
Sweden
I'm planning to set up a dedicated PC for SpinRite. Still in the design-phase, I have some questions:
  • How CPU-intensive is SR? Will it be faster with a faster CPU, or will the drive always be the limiting factor?
  • What about threads? Should I go for more threads or higher speed single-thread?
  • Does it have to be a 64-bit system?
  • Does more RAM equal more better?
  • Will BIOS booting continue to work past v.6 or should I go for a mainboard with UEFI?
I'm tempted to dust off an old P4 system I have. It's only 32-bit (so no more than 3-ish GB of RAM) and single-thread (but close to 3 GHz). It's also BIOS only.
Looking forward to hear from the elder geeks.

In answer to your actual questions:

How CPU-intensive is SR?
Not really at all. An old 286 (AT class IBM PC, 10 MHz level) would probably be fine, except it would be missing some of the 386 class instructions needed for modern SpinRite.

What about threads?
It's strictly single threaded.

Does it have to be a 64-bit system?
No, but if it's new, it's probably better that it is for the future as even Linux us dropping some support for older 32bit machines.

Does more RAM equal more better?
No, a single gigabyte is sufficient, but again, the future is more, so 2G is probably sufficient for anything in the near future. (Good luck finding a new PC with less than 4G or even 8G of RAM though, other than in the recommended system, in previous post.)

Will BIOS booting continue to work past v.6 or should I go for a mainboard with UEFI?
Steve has committed to V7 still supporting legacy booting, but he doesn't really have control over the future of PCs. Intel has deprecated legacy booting since 2020, so it's getting more difficult to get a new machine that has the necessary CSM to support it.

• Done!
Reactions: mappo
The limitation on your P4 may be the SATA speed. I have a motherboard that supports SATA-3. As a rough guide: for a 1TB hard drive, it scans a SATA-3 HD in ~2 hrs. a SATA-2 HD in ~3hrs, and a SATA-1 HD in ~4hrs.

SR6.1 will not run on a UEFI-only motherboard.

The limitation on your P4 may be the SATA speed. I have a motherboard that supports SATA-3. As a rough guide: for a 1TB hard drive, it scans a SATA-3 HD in ~2 hrs. a SATA-2 HD in ~3hrs, and a SATA-1 HD in ~4hrs.

SR6.1 will not run on a UEFI-only motherboard.
The slowness of the SATA might be an issue, but I consider this to be an overnight procedure anyway. Thank you for your input!

The only thing I would add is about the somewhat unknown future of SpinRite. If your goal is to create a dedicated SpinRite 6.1 system, then everything said above was 100% on the money. But I have big plans for SpinRite 7+ and I would be less certain that things like multiple cores and an excess of RAM and many more drive interfaces might not be useful. My biggest concern is over total memory system bandwidth, since I expect that might be stretched thin. But there, more caching would not help. Only faster main memory with wider paths.

The next SpinRite will be inherently multitasking and will be able to run on any number of drives at once. It will also be VERY busy doing other things, with a lot going on at once. I don't yet have any calibration on any of this. And in the worst case, a lesser capable machine might (and it's only a "might") prevent SpinRite from doing as much at once. But I'm also certain that the lower-end ZimaBoard will have plenty of power either way... though it might (and, again, I just don't know yet) limit how many drives can be kept busy at once, or how deeply many drives can be monitored.

Level 4 and 5 do a verification pass that might get bottlenecked on something as old as a Pentium 4, but I don't know if anyone has benchmarked that yet.