Vitamin D

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

Vela Nanashi

\//\/
Sep 16, 2020
I am not a doctor, however: a healthy young person can in a day in summer around noon produce 12000IU if they expose all their skin to the sun, so if one is an indoor person, who never sees the sun, I would say that 12000IU is the upper limit nature had in mind for D3.

The liver will store excess, normally in winter we are supposed to tap into that storage of D3 the liver has, and in summers fill it up again, so maybe if we average out and take d3 every day, a lower dose like 4000IU-5000IU is just about right.

It is of course always best to test ones blood value of D3 to see where it is, so it is not going too low or too high.

Adam J. Richardson

Oct 8, 2020
This seems a little high to me. I think 4000 or 5000 is a reasonable recommended maximum.
Agreed, but I've thought about it a bit. Steve said at one point that you'd have to exceed 50000 IU per day for months to actually overdose. I know Steve's not a doctor, and I'm not taking his advice as gospel, but I think on balance 8000 IU is probably a fairly safe risk to take.

I am under fairly regular medical care as a post-cancer patient, so I'll bring it up with my doctors next appointment which is actually... soonish.

Reactions: airchie and PHolder

a viewer

Sep 30, 2020

peterhatoz

Sep 30, 2020
@Steve et al,
Recently found the following paper which asserts that the RDA for Vitamin D was calculated incorrectly (by an order of magnitude) ...

... and this response from another group, which supports the first paper with more relevant experimental data ...

Looks like these results back up your own personal trials.

danlock

Sep 30, 2020
USA
Agreed, but I've thought about it a bit. Steve said at one point that you'd have to exceed 50000 IU per day for months to actually overdose. I know Steve's not a doctor, and I'm not taking his advice as gospel, but I think on balance 8000 IU is probably a fairly safe risk to take.

Better safe than sorry!

Steve also said that D3 remains in the system for a long time. I think its half-life in the body is around 15 days.

Andy72

Oct 4, 2020
Vitamin D is high in demand in the Czech Republic (where I come from). It reached a point when even news mention it. Pharmacists say that people just stock up on vitamin D. They also mention that people learned about vitamin D benefits from the internet. I feel like being light years ahead because I was informed about vitamin D benefits by Steve already years ago.

Also I can confirm that the vitamin D can change the smell of the urine.

Reactions: Steve

Warwagon

Sep 20, 2020
i've been taking 5,000 IU of vitamin D ever since Steve did his podcast about it. Every night, as it's part of my nightly regimen.

Multi, C, D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar.

Trying to get my gf to reliably take vitamin D for side effects of Covid protection, she works in a nursing home were covid has recently ran amuck. They test the staff twice a week and so far she's negative. I recommend she start taking 5,000 back in April. she only recently started taking it but when I asked her about it, she forgot for the last 3 days.

MLJ

Comp Eng, PM, Disneyfile
Oct 21, 2020
Central Florida
I've been taking 5000IU for about a year, usually in the morning with breakfast. Recently had my blood work done as part of my annual checkup. Had them test my D level and it was right down the middle of the stripe. So has been apparently working well for me, though I didn't really have a baseline before taking it to compare. But it appears to not be doing any harm for sure.

saguaro

Oct 22, 2020
Hello all, I hate to cite Forbes, but they covered the results of a study linking Vitamin D to better COVID19 outcomes. The lead author is @Steve favorite Dr Michael Holick. The scientific community has some concerns over the sample size, about 230 or so, but this is promising stuff. The report also got some coverage from BBC and others, including some push-back on Vit D supplementation. I find this especially strange in light of the "Statistical Error" ref cited by @peterhatoz.

The Forbes article has link to the published study, with notes about sample size concerns.

martyfender

Sep 18, 2020
Disclaimer here, I have not yet consulted my physician concerning the following and I take Lipitor, Plavix and Lopressor:

I have been taking vitamin D3 for a number of years. In past years I took 2000 IU, but in the last year I have been taking 4000 IU. Dr. Fauci recommends taking vitamin K2 MK-7 when taking vitimin D3, but based on some research, it may not be a good idea to do this if you are taking heart medications such as this 62 year old does. I was a long distance runner in my youth and a bicycle racer in my 20's and 30's, but this doesn't always protect on if it is in your family history and certain diet and life style chooses take precedence. 2 years ago I started cycling again, but still had a heart attack a year ago, which required a stint. I did, however, get up to 20 miles again by the end of summer.

"One of the biggest vitamin K2 side effects on health is its potential to interact with blood-thinning medications. Blood-thinning medications work by inhibiting vitamin K. Suddenly increasing the vitamin K2 coming from any source, whether vitamin K2 supplements or vitamin K2-rich foods, may decrease the effect of blood-thinning medications. Cutting down on vitamin K2 may increase its effect. This unwanted side effect may seem more significant with vitamin K2 than vitamin K1. Even a small change in menaquinone intake may affect anti-coagulant medications.

When an allergic reaction turns up, vitamin K2 supplements are basically safe and non-toxic. Menaquinones may be metabolized with vitamin K2 differently than vitamin K1. For instance, vitamin K2’s effect coming from fermented foods on blood-thinning medications may last longer than vitamin K1’s effect.

This is actually one of the common side effects of vitamin K2 that you should know and try to be cautious when taking in vitamin K2 from any sources while taking blood-thinning medications."

Source for above: https://nutritionkit.com/vitamin-k2-side-effects/

Last edited:

Vela Nanashi

\//\/
Sep 16, 2020
From what I understand, and I am no doctor, K2 maybe can interfere with warfarin and other anticoagulants, but at the same time it helps prevent calcification of blood vessels and helps the heart in doing so, and also has other heart health improving effects, something that medicines that mess with vitamin k/k2 metabolism messes up. I don't know if K2 overall is good or bad for people with those medications though. I think that will have to be something each person on those medicines discuss with their doctor and then decide on for themselves. I am not sure if high D3 is such a great idea without some source of K2 though, given that if an overdose happens it will speed up calcification of soft tissues.

Also I am not sure if K1 and K2 act the same, I mean the molecules look similar so maybe, but I thought K1 was the one with highest coagulation enhancing properties, while K2 had other functions. I may be remembering that wrong though, do your own research :)

sithMagic

Oct 30, 2020
Some useful youtube references on Vitamin-D (K2 and Omega3 is also required in the equation, but they my be adequate in diet already):
"From Ivor Cummins BE(Chem), CEng MIEI “D is for Debacle – The Crucial Story of Vitamin D and Human Health”:
which goes into scientific research on what levels the body should have, including breast--feeding mums.
For more recent clinical studies into current illnesses, have a look at Dr John Campbell discussing Vitamin-D and immunity
and on large scale studies

trekrich

Oct 30, 2020
i have been taking 10k for a few weeks now, trying to get my levels up a bit. Then will drop back down a maintenance dose of 5k that i will take daily.

airchie

Nov 9, 2020
@Steve , I remember you've discussed several times in the podcast that you take quite a few suppliments.
I'd love to see a breakdown of what you're taking but also, probably more importantly, why you take it.

Also, has anyone found a good supplier of the vitamin D3 in the UK?
I ordered some 4000IU "capsules" that turned out to be tablets.
Since the vitamin is fat soluble, I'm thinking I'd prefer to get some capsules with the vitamin suspended in oil.

Thanks in advance,

Reactions: JonB65
Sep 17, 2020
London UK
@Steve , I remember you've discussed several times in the podcast that you take quite a few suppliments.
I'd love to see a breakdown of what you're taking but also, probably more importantly, why you take it.

Also, has anyone found a good supplier of the vitamin D3 in the UK?
I ordered some 4000IU "capsules" that turned out to be tablets.
Since the vitamin is fat soluble, I'm thinking I'd prefer to get some capsules with the vitamin suspended in oil.

Thanks in advance,
I could not find the one Steve is taking in the UK, so I searched online for "now High potency Vitamin D-3 5,000 IU". Got it shipped i a few days. Think it came from Sweden!

martyfender

Sep 18, 2020
I can't find this recommendation by doctor Fauci; can you give us a source for this? I've heard he recommends vitamin D3 and C, didn't see K2 mentioned.

Sorry, it was in one of his many YouTube videos he posted in the last few weeks.