Verizon wireless price increase, may go to Ting

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

rfrazier

Sep 30, 2020
Hi all. This is not security related but is something you all might be interested in nevertheless. I just got my Verizon bill for 2 phones which never use data and my price has gone up from $ 90 / mo to $ 107 / mo, an 18% increase. This made me mad, and I called to complain. I waited an hour to get a manager on the line. She essentially said the price is the price and I could deal with it or leave. I was NOT impressed.

As you may be aware, MVNO's (Mobile Virtual Network Operators) resell wireless service at lower prices. In the USA, there are now only three main carriers, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile / Sprint. All the others resell one or more of those three. I think Ting was mentioned years ago by @Steve although I'm not absolutely sure of that. (There are MANY MVNO's.) I looked it up again and they now have service on T-Mobile as well as Verizon. My phones use NO data as I do all my mobile computing via tablet and wifi or with a separate cell modem. I link to an article below which (re)reviews Ting. That particular reviewer joined in 2014 and still likes them in 2022. Not sure yet but I may make the switch. Their flex plan is $ 10 / month plus $ 5 / GB of data used. So, I could potentially save $ 80 / month on two lines. I haven't totally decided yet but it definitely is piquing my interest.

Just thought I'd pass it along in case the info is helpful.

May your bits be stable and your interfaces be fast. :cool: Ron

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
If you used more data, I think Mint Mobile is a good choice. They're on TMobile's network, and are the sponsor of the TWiT network. My friend switched to them from TMobile and has been very happy. I think he pays $15/mo (or less if you pre-pay the year) for 4G per month.

dg1261

Oct 22, 2020
I've been an extremely happy Ting customer since switching in May 2013. We currently have 3 phones on one acct, but in the past have had up to 5 phones simultaneously on the acct, using a hodge-podge of TMo SIMs and VZW SIMs. Our bill for 3 phones averages about $40/mo total. (Of course, we're on wifi data most of the day, either at home or at work.)

Since switching in 2013 I have kept a spreadsheet that calculates a comparison of what it would have cost us on the closest comparable TMo plan and the closest VZW plan. The spreadsheet takes the minutes, texts, and data used each month to derive its comparison. (I started the spreadsheet back when it was common to have monthly caps on minutes and texts.) Since it was common to get locked into 2-yr contracts with the other guys, I update the spreadsheet formulas on each 2-yr anniversary after reevaluating the most favorable TMo and VZW plans available at that time.

My spreadsheet shows that in the 9 yrs we've been with Ting, we have saved more than $5300 over the closest comparable TMo plans, and more than $8100 over VZW's plans. (That's not counting the cost of the phones, nor misc taxes and fees which all companies would charge.)

Ting is extremely flexible, and we've moved a variety of phones in and out of the acct over the years with relative ease.

But perhaps Ting's best feature is their customer service. It never takes long to get to a live person, and they're very competent, helpful, and knowledgeable. My daughter has called them often as she switches phones a lot, plus frequently travels outside the country. She says they're consistently the best customer service experiences she's ever had, across all industries she's had to deal with.

BTW, I might also mention that when she's out of the country she often has wifi available wherever she is, so with wifi calling and a Google Voice number she can make and receive calls back to the USA for free.

FWIW, Ting used to be a sponsor on Leo's network, but now he's pushing Mint Mobile. It looks to me like their plans are the same as Ting, but I can't imagine their customer service could be any better, so there's no reason I would even consider leaving Ting.

Reactions: rfrazier
Sep 17, 2020
London UK
Wow In the UK my monthly rolling contract (basically cancel any time) is £10, for that I get 30Gb & unlimited calls & texts. It is so good I ditched my landline and now tether my phone to my laptop.

JimWilliamson

Nov 15, 2020
`switched from Verizon to Boom Mobile (Boom.US) and stayed on the Verizon network (Boom Red). The bill, one phone [Unlim Talk & Text, 1GB data], went from ~$75 to ~$35 - no noticed performance difference from being on the "full" verizon network to a verizon reseller / MVNO. The online account interface is not as comprehensive as Verizon's as to billing history, but it's a trade I'll accept for the lower cost.

rfrazier

Sep 30, 2020
@dg1261 That's great info. Definitely helps in decision making. Thanks!

I have not personally used an MVNO, but I thought I'd share a couple of pros and cons based on research. I found this website by googling / duckduckgoing / bravesearching which might be useful. I haven't examined it much.

Also, you can type mvnoname wireless review into a search engine and often get good results. You can still get lots of good stuff in web page format. Usually I like to use YouTube for reviews, but their search engine is pretty bad and may give lots of non relevant results. Consuming videos may or may not be faster than consuming web pages. I usually watch videos at 2X speed.

In the past, the main wireless carriers may have had better customer service. Lately maybe not so much. Many MVNO's have a reputation for bad service. Ting may be an exception. I suspect that if something highly technical and complex goes wrong, Verizon etc might be better, but you'd have to wade through hours of telling low level agents the problem to get help.

As I understand it, MVNO's may be prepaid or postpaid. Prepaid means you charge up with minutes / texts / GB by paying first then use it. Postpaid means you use what you use then pay. Many MVNO's including Ting require automatic credit card payments so it's not as much of a difference. I don't like auto payments, but I can probably live with it. If you're on a Flex plan that lets you add data at will, for example, you have to be careful or you could spontaneously end up with a huge credit card bill you didn't anticipate.

MVNO's are for wireless what Priceline is for hotels. They sell left over and unused bandwidth. The difference is you're usually limited to one underlying carrier, as opposed to many dozens of hotels. The carrier's mainline customers get first dibs on data. In times of congestion, the MVNO customers' data may get deprioritized. In other words regular customers get the fast lane and MVNO customers get the slow lane for data during peak usage. Since I use no phone data, this doesn't affect me, but it's a concern for some people. If there's an emergency or something, even the voice and text bandwidth may get crowded. Presumably, they could deprioritize those too, since the towers can only handle so much traffic.

Policies differ as to what happens when you hit your data limit. Some plans, like Ting's Flex plan, let you use more data by paying more money. Others drop you to 2G speeds of .1 Mbps (100 Kbps) or so. Calling that speed a "connection" is a stretch. Yes you can check a little email and read some very simplistic text web pages, but it's painfully slow. Forget any audio, video, or most downloads. For those of you reading who are somewhat older, that's slower than a good telephone modem back in the day.

MVNO's like Ting don't have physical stores. If you want something physical, you have to get it delivered. Some other MVNO's offer some merchandise and services through big box stores like Best Buy or Walmart, etc.

Hope this is helpful.

May your bits be stable and your interfaces be fast. :cool: Ron

Last edited:

SeanBZA

Oct 1, 2020
Funny I use a MVNO for connectivity, and they are actually cheaper, faster and as reliable as the network they run over. The service from them is a lot better than the base network, they actually do respond to tickets fast, and resolve them as well. All I had to do to move to them was change APN on the SIM, and wait 3 minutes after restarting the phone, and it just worked. Funny thing is the rates are slightly lower for calls, and I still do get credited every so often from the original network, though the spam SMS issue can never be resolved on any network. Still get around 5 a day saying to simply dial a short code, and get "free" games, at a low low price of only "from $1 per day". However, unlike the USA, I do not pay to receive SMS messages, or calls, so it works out a lot better.

Ralph

Sep 24, 2020
I had T-Mobile for my cell phone with 1 line no contracts and it was $55 per month. It had unlimited data which was meaningless to me since I never came close to 1GB per month. I changed my cable from Verizon/ FIOs to Spectrum a couple months ago, and with Spectrum internet you can move your cell service to them. Using Spectrum's no contract cell service and up to 1GB data my cell service went from $55 to $15. If you go over 1GB (my plan) they move you up to the next data limit for the month.

If you have Spectrum available it may be worth looking into, they also use Verizon's network.