User group workflow got me playing in Crossover for Mac to boot SpinRite6.0

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

Scott3

Dec 4, 2020
MacMad had a blog "
How cool is this!
read thru it a couple times, left question w MacMad but no response yet.
I knew SpinRite used a freeware DOS bootable, so I bought SpinRite to try and install and boot off a virtual drive to work on early 2009 iMac 9.1 internal HDD, which still boots fine after software maintenance routines.
Got virtual drive with SpinRite.exe inside, on mac side boot volume desktop using Codeweaver's Crossover, and SpinRite's first screen. But cannot figure out how to launch Spinrite from virtual drive, from inside Crossover's bottle? When double clicking on SpinRrite.exe in Crossover bottle, it launches a windows/wine (not sure which) window, I point it to .exe, and it keeps complaining that there is no windows app to launch the .exe when I point crossover to virtual drive (same problem pointing Crossover to .iso, and .img) ...
I'm installing SpinRite into Crossover bottle as "unknown app" because no one has built CrossOver install script for SpinRite. All previous windows apps ran straight from Crossover bottles when double clicked:E-sword, Winimg, Magiciso, imageburn. I will submit SpinRite to Codeweavers later this evening.
Scott3

AlanD

Sep 18, 2020
Rutland UK
There has been a discussion on this in the Spinrite development newsgroups and Millq has developed a downloadable disk image which works on Mac's that can boot from CD.

The latest iso seems to be available at

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
To be clear, there is no point trying to get SpinRite to work inside of any Windows emulator, as all it does when it runs under Windows is create boot media. You need a boot environment that looks and works like DOS (or FreeDOS.) This is the CD @AlanD mentioned (as I understand it, I have no experience with SpinRite on Macs.)

Don51

Sep 25, 2020
I have been able to boot to FreeDOS on a 12 year old iMac, and start SpinRite. But since it has a usb keyboard, SpinRite dows not progress past the opening screen.
:(

AlanD

Sep 18, 2020
Rutland UK
I believe that the disk image mentioned above has solved that problem. I know there were comments during the build process about various fixes specific to the Mac.