FYI Tracking My Work & Progress

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • New Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
Everyone...

There is so much anticipation of SpinRite's and then Beyond Recall's availability that I've decided to create a work tracker for those who are interested in knowing what's going on from day to day. Although I'm unable to predict or guess when anything will happen, at least I can share where I am along the way. I'll use my main Blog for the announcement of significant milestones, and this work and progress tracking thread for more granular status updates.

I've decided not to make this tracking thread interactive because I'm afraid that it would be a huge distraction for me (I would feel an obligation to reply to posts here) that would retard my progress. So I'm going to keep this thread closed to general posting. This also means that those who wish to receive updates on my progress may use the forum's “Watch” feature for this thread without getting “spammed” by other reactions here.

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
Working to get the first test release of “ReadSpeed” finished and ready for alpha testing:

While initially working on SpinRite v6.1 back in 2013, I developed the low-level hardware drivers for non-AHCI-mode IDE/ATA drives. Then, after SQRL was solidly completed, I returned to work on SpinRite and wrote drivers for AHCI-mode SATA drives. Working with the gang of terrific testers and troubleshooters over in GRC's NNTP newsgroup forums, we first got the new AHCI drivers solidly working on every piece of hardware that anyone had. Then I added read benchmarking as a means to make testing this stuff more interesting. Once that was finished, I returned to the 7-year old code from 2013, updated and verified it and then added the same sort of benchmarking to it. Also along the way, somewhere this year, I developed our own USB formatting capability since all of the next-generation products would be needing a robust ability to prepare a bootable USB device.

The two modes of hardware controller operation (non-AHCI and AHCI) are very different from one another, so I'm currently working to merge the two driver types into a single solution, while also creating a solid foundation that SpinRite and Beyond Recall will need. I suspect that I'm probably a few days away from having a fully amalgamated candidate “ReadSpeed” benchmark ready for its final round of testing, which we'll again be doing over in GRC's NNTP grc.spinrite.dev newsgroup.

Once that's finished, we'll have the “ReadSpeed” (RS.EXE) DOS program that needs to be run to perform benchmarks on everyone's machines. So then a custom version of the “InitDisk” utility will be created to automatically prepare any USB thumb drive for ReadSpeed. It will format it, install FreeDOS, and preload the various DOS programs — including RS.EXE.

Then we'll have a Windows utility that will prepare any USB drive. When that USB drive is booted, its users will be able to run ReadSpeed and a handful of other interesting system level utilities.

Onward! (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.