The Orville

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

Vela Nanashi

\//\/
Sep 16, 2020
Orville is a nice comedy scifi, and felt more star trek to me than STD, but it is not every person's cup of tea, earll grey hot, I suppose :)

Topographic0cean

Oct 8, 2020
I have only watched season 1 so far. Like a lot of others, I found it just OK -- better than many other shows but not great. The problem is that it is trying to be both a comedy and Star Trek. Since the writers never really commit to either, you are left with moments of good humor, moments of good Star Trek and a lot of drift.

Reactions: Barry Wallis

Guy

Oct 4, 2020
Hooksett, NH
I enjoy it! cant wait for the next/last season to be released.

Reminds me of the sarcasm we had on board my Submarine. of course.. we didnt cut anyone's leg off as a prank. At least.. not that I can talk about.

danlock

Sep 30, 2020
Too many comedies take the easy road and resort to potty humor. IMO, that route does not often an intelligent comedy make. On the other hand, maybe I'm overly sensitive to that.

Last edited:

Barry Wallis

Magician in Training
Too many comedies take the easy road and resort to potty humor. IMO, that route does not often an intelligent comedy make. On the other hand, maybe I'm just overly sensitive to that.
I don't know about too many, but I agree it is the easy way out. My favorite improv group, ComedySportz (it's comedy as a sport), has a rule that forbids players from rude, crude or lewd humor because it is a cheap way to get laughs.

Reactions: danlock

danlock

Sep 30, 2020
Speaking from experience, once you get people (especially a group, and especially if they are eating or have just eaten) laughing, it's easy to keep them laughing, to the point where they are nearly rolling on the floor. And with me, it's because I tend to view the world from a different perspective than others in some ways, I think. All I have to do is start talking about things that have happened to me. I guess I'm referring to being selfish, talking about myself like that, but it often works. ...and we feed off each other's laughter or something... an interesting phenomenon. Never crude or lewd.

Last edited: