TailScale

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I just recently came across this service. I don't know that I actually have any need for it, but it does seem interesting. Someone like @Steve that attempts to operate at two different locations might have more use of it than I do. I would be curious to hear from anyone who has decided to use it, though.

Barry Wallis

Magician in Training
I just recently came across this service. I don't know that I actually have any need for it, but it does seem interesting. Someone like @Steve that attempts to operate at two different locations might have more use of it than I do. I would be curious to hear from anyone who has decided to use it, though.

Thanks. I will look into it. Once I start going out of town to theaters and staying in hotels again, it might be useful.

Lob

What could possibly go wrong?
Nov 7, 2020
I like the look of this; I have two locations in two countries that I would like to join or make one logical network. I want to see if this can do it because for my usage it appears free and if it joins my networks *somehow* then I will like it. Right now, I have SyncThing running on 2 Synology boxes and it's been syncing a month (well it is 250Gb to sync and the slowest speed is 75Mbps).

If anyone gets there before me, shout up :)

AlanD

Sep 18, 2020
Rutland UK
It looks like it connects Devices not networks as you have to install their software in each machine. There is no mention of a router version to connect network to network. Nevertheless, it might have its uses.

Lob

Nov 7, 2020
So I am trying it and my two-home setup seems to ease because of this. I can stop duplication if I use it.

For Windows and iOS devices, I have a network layer where they all see each other once this is turned on. Great, I say. My killer use is being able to map a drive to my server from anywhere; this means the media files I have on there are being served in location A by the server itself and location B by an old laptop (I have 10/10Gb at location A). Syncthing, which has been running since the start of the year, is still bulk-syncing 280Gb (location B has only 75Mbps down :D).

This might be a solution for @Steve given his two location setup. Less complexity as long as this layer is actually secure, which it seems to be fundamentally a private class D network with little or no connectivity out (and I hope in). I've dropped Remote Utilities now as I can RDP on this layer.

It would be nice to link the networks but in absence of that, linking the devices across the two networks that matter is stellar. Both have CG-NAT and IPv6 which make my OpenVPN boxes at each end annoying to surface to the Internet.

I like this so far. It seems my Mezzmo can bind to the TailScale interface so I might be able to stream from my server on any network. Which is funny :)

Last edited:

Lob

Nov 7, 2020
I am liking TailScale, my media server (Serviio) at location B is now streaming video over a TailScale layer from my Windows shares at location A.

Benefit is not having to syncthing Terabytes of data. Negatives I have yet to see, it seems I can control whether inbound traffic is possible to some devices (they call it Shields Up :D) and it seems the network layer I use is secured. I like it more every day and have it on my primary machine (which is impressive for software to make it there).