Syncthing across the internet

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

Topographic0cean

Oct 8, 2020
Steve recommends syncthing as the best overall file synchronization software. I can see why as it does have a lot of great features and seems to work well. Certainly on a local network it seems safe and easy to setup.

Has there been any discussion of using syncthing across the internet? One way to do that is to port forward port 22000 to a syncthing server and have external nodes sync with that. That seems risky for all of the reasons Steve is telling us about on a weekly basis.

Syncthing recommends using its relay network, which if I understand correctly is made up of individuals providing relays to the community. Has there been any discussion of this? Is it considered safe? Any best practices that should be followed?

Reactions: danie_vdm

Lob

What could possibly go wrong?
Nov 7, 2020
I assume the relaying hosts are something like STUN/TURN and allow a connection between the devices without the need for port forwarding. I sync across the Internet between two devices and see the connection is well-secured with TLS1.3-TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256