SQRL Forum login issue

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

DanR

Dan
Sep 17, 2020
The people affected do seem to be those who haven't logged in for many months or more.
Right! That was me too. The SQRL forum seems to be rather inactive with not many members logging in regularly.

After Steve fixed the problem for me (on Jan 01, 2022) I am making a point of logging in once a week. So far, so good.

Since then Steve has been very focused on resolving various SpinRite 6.1 development issues.

DanR

Dan
Sep 17, 2020
Agreed! We need Steve focused on SpinRite! :)

That said, I don't know if/as this is a SQRL problem. Rather, I think it has to do with the SQRL forum software misbehaving and not with SQRL itself.

Sep 17, 2020
London UK
That said, I don't know if/as this is a SQRL problem. Rather, I think it has to do with the SQRL forum software misbehaving and not with SQRL itself.
My Point is that is the only place that uses SQRL, it is not used anywhere else! It did not achieve the big acceptance that Steve was hoping for. People can still login to it by using old fashion method of name/password, so they are not missing out. Once he has SR 6.1,7, and maybe 8 out the door, he could look at it then, if he needs to occupy his time. After all, SR will pay the bills, SQRL will not! We need SR more than SQRL!

Reactions: Roger Rabbit

DanR

Dan
Sep 17, 2020
My Point is that is the only place that uses SQRL, it is not used anywhere else! It did not achieve the big acceptance that Steve was hoping for. People can still login to it by using old fashion method of name/password, so they are not missing out. Once he has SR 6.1,7, and maybe 8 out the door, he could look at it then, if he needs to occupy his time. After all, SR will pay the bills, SQRL will not! We need SR more than SQRL!
I totally agree with your post.

But, here's the thing: Steve's intent, once he completed the heavy lifting - i.e developing and validating the demo client and server apps, and fully documenting everything - was to leave it to someone else to pick up the baton and carry it thru the RFC spec process. Sadly, no one ever stepped up to make that happen. And without an RFC spec, most (all?) would-be significant players will not touch SQRL.

Roger Rabbit

Jan 3, 2021
Please Please do not get him started on SQRL again. It is not used anywhere, & we need him to focus on 6.1, not a re-write of SQRL code!
Absolutely!
Spinrite was a wonderful product, and has saved my bacon and data multiple times over the years, or made me a hero with I recovered the wife's laptop... but those are only memories.

With newer hardware, large hard drives, UEFI, etc., it (v6.0) is as useless as a 5.25" floppy disk today. Just like a 5.25" floppy, there is nothing in my home that it will run on, and by run on, I mean more than display an error that it can't run for various reasons.

SQRL sounds like a great solution to securing logins, except that apparently it is not being implemented on the server side by anyone, especially where you want the best security, banks, financials, etc.

Sep 17, 2020
London UK
(v6.0) is as useless as a 5.25" floppy disk today.
When I said 6.1, I really mean the whole development of the product, 7.0 and beyond. We did have a little glitch this year when he got side-tracked by a "shiny thing", the InControl project, but that was put to bed quickly. So, to infinity, & beyond....

Kirpestein

Nov 26, 2020
Experiencing the same problem as Gavin & DanR. Haven't logged in to the SQRL forum for several months.
John Kirpestein

epigoner

Aug 6, 2022
I'm going to bump this thread. I finally decided to try out SQRL today, to register here and post a SpinRite error. So I get the SQRL, I try the SQRL...but I just can't SQRL. It simply wouldn't register me, or go through. I click the button, SQRL comes up and something with the site and the voodoo going on in the background didn't match up. Yes SQRL, yes I want to trust the one whole site that actually uses you. I click continue, brings me back to the registration page and...nothing. blank stair from the registration page.

I'm trying all of this on a Galaxy S21 driving Firefox, if that helps at all. Ended up just registering an account the regular way.

Reactions: danie_vdm

REMnANT

Aug 6, 2022
It's not clear to me that he is actually aware the problem(s) appear to be systemic. It seems likely to be an issue with the passage of time, or else it's related to some past SQRL database issue that has caused creeping corruption or something. It's never affected me, but I log in (or refresh the page) every day. The people affected do seem to be those who haven't logged in for many months or more.
INDEED.
I am another one.

I used to see (and - in theory - still DO) see such great promise in SQRL.