FYI SpinRite's Development Roadmap

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

LikesCookies

Brian Tillman
Sep 23, 2020
I'm also one of those people who has a very tolerant spouse. We married each other over 46 years ago. I, too, started my career programming (my first project was to write a Fortran-like compiler that generated a proprietary assembly language for an airborne computer) but later transitioned to administration of computer systems. I had plenty of late night and all night sessions while programming - started off with Hollerith cards on the IBM System 360. Computers are still my "other wife," my real one says. I, too, am retired and well-enough off financially.

Agent92

Oct 3, 2020
I see there has been some discussions earlier here about that there at some point will be a Spinrite 6.1 beta, any update on when that might be?

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Spinrite 6.1 beta, any update on when that might be?
I have no special insight into that, but based on the lack of recent status reports, I wouldn't expect anything of consequence before July 2021. Also, the first news of it will probably be on his SpinRite Dev newsgroup, at least initially. Steve will probably eventually do a new post here when he has something newsworthy to share, but it might not be until after the group on the newsgroup works out any initial bugs.

Sep 17, 2020
London UK
I see there has been some discussions earlier here about that there at some point will be a Spinrite 6.1 beta
I think the betas will be available for people who already have purchased V6 and provide their proof of purchase. It has gone a bit quite at the moment, Steve has just got married, and is a little pre occupied :) He says he went straight back to work, but I don't believe him!!!!!!!!!

DanR

Dan
Sep 17, 2020
I see there has been some discussions earlier here about that there at some point will be a SpinRite 6.1 beta, any update on when that might be?
No timing can be speculated. I have long thought that by July 01, 2021 is doable for a SpinRite 6.1 release. Although it is getting closer, there is still time - 2.5 months yet - for that to happen.

Per posts Steve made earlier today in the development NG, there may be one more public demo to show the new GUI screens, and validate some things, before the beta - for registered SpinRite owners only - is available.

rfrazier

Sep 30, 2020
Your proof of purchase is your private transaction code found in your original e-mail receipt (I still have mine from eight years ago).
You can also reference your SpinRite unique serial number which shows up when the program is running.

@Steve is notorious for not quoting development dates, a philosophy I approve of. However, he did say in one of the latest podcasts that work is progressing and that's he's having to rewrite massive amounts of code to adapt to 64 bit sector addressing.

May your bits be stable and your interfaces be fast. :cool: Ron

Sep 17, 2020
London UK
Right, a competition eh..

Well I bought Ritespin -4.01223 before I was born. Back then it worked on stone platters, and worked at a speed of 4 dinosaur bits per year. A tablet (as it was called then) took 1 century to run, and always crashed every other century. I don't know why I bought really, it cost me over 1 amebae, and Steve will not even consider giving me an upgrade! Very poor customer service. I am going back to hammer & chisel to save all my data. At least that is written in stone.

AlanD

Sep 18, 2020
Rutland UK
I can't find my receipt at the moment, but I was certainly posting in the NewsGroups back in 2003. From the executable, it looks like my copy is dated June 2004.

Reactions: Barry Wallis

DanR

Dan
Sep 17, 2020
I can't find my receipt at the moment, but I was certainly posting in the NewsGroups back in 2003. From the executable, it looks like my copy is dated June 2004.
Get in touch with Greg. He can help you out.

rfrazier

Sep 30, 2020
Run SpinRite. Some of the screens should have your serial number on it. Go here:
and put in the serial number. It will look up your transaction record.

May your bits be stable and your interfaces be fast. :cool: Ron

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
Hey Gang,

I just saw this thread and thought I'd check in. It's true that Lorrie and I worked on our wedding night, last Wednesday. Having already been together for three and a half years, not much really changed for us. There was no "waiting to be married, then..." sort of nonsense. She's probably the sanest woman I've ever known. So it's very comfortable. Mostly, being married makes her extremely happy and content, since she really wanted to be married. So that's a win-win.

It has been a bit rocky getting back into SpinRite because it's code that I truly haven't been deep into since 2004, and the shift between a 16-bit segmented programming model and the flat 32-bit world I've been working with in Windows for the past 17 years, is significant. As everyone knows, I try to be a measure twice (or three times) and cut once sort of developer, and the dumb mistakes I was making initially were worrisome. I think I'm past that, but I'm still needing to watch myself.

Another concern related to 16-bit segmentation is this snippet from SpinRite's Symbol MAP file:
Start    Stop     Length   Name     Class
00000H   0E687H   0E688H   CODESEG  CODE
Those lines show the current size of SpinRite's single 16-bit segment for its code. The current size is 0xE688 which is 59,016. The fixed and immutable maximum size of any 16-bit segment is 65,536. So SpinRite's code segment currently has 6520 bytes of space available. If I'm unable to fit the rest of the required new code into that remaining 6520 bytes of space, it will be necessary for me to switch SpinRite to a multi-code segment model. This is possible, but I REALLY hope it won't be necessary since it involves a lot of reworking. But I've been cognizant of this all along, so I've been working from the start to avoid that. The good news is that this available space has been holding relatively constant for quite a while even while I've been adding new code and capabilities, because I've been re-writing old code to be tighter when I encounter it and I've been writing the new code as economically as possible.

Another more optimistic way of viewing the situation is that the available 6520 bytes of available space is nearly 10% of the total 65,536 bytes. So in all of the existing SpinRite I've only consumed a little over 90% of the total available space. Given that I have already imported much of the new ATA and AHCI driver code from the earlier ReadSpeed work, I think we're going to be okay.

My plan, as I recently wrote in the grc.spinrite.dev newsgroup in reply to someone posting “is this group still alive?” is to finish all of the integration of the new support — through the drive enumeration, display, selection and characteristics browsing — bringing the user right up to the point where SpinRite is about to begin “going.” That will allow everything that should be working to be verified before we move into the actual “it's alive!!” stage.

PanamaVet

Sep 18, 2020
Spinrite purchase date 3/23/2006.

My daughter was in college and having trouble with her laptop. After copying important files Windows setup could not format the drive.

Spinrite fixed the drive and it never failed again.

I look forward to the new version at whatever pace works for Steve.

Reactions: Barry Wallis