FYI SpinRite's Development Roadmap

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • New Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

DrBunsen

Sep 30, 2020
What problems did you have with DBAN?
Every time that I've run SpinRite after running DBAN on a drive, SpinRite has shown in the "Raw Data Snapshot" window that the drive was well and truly zeroed out for as long as I ever bothered to watch the blankness go by. Yet another side benefit to running SpinRite!

Last edited:

pinter

Oct 2, 2020
For my particular use case being able to just run spinrite on a USB drive would be huge. If I can run it in a VM on my mac that would be awesome. I don't have much computer hardware around the house anymore aside form a couple laptops and a NAS these days. Main thing I want to do is scan my NAS drives periodically. And something that works on drives bigger than 2TB :)
Thank you Steve for getting back to this.

Reactions: Steve

Cebess

Oct 4, 2020
I know what you mean about the definition of recent. I bought SpinRite when it was mentioned on Security Now that there would be a new version. That's been years ago now, but a good program is worth waiting for so... we wait. Many of my current computers will not run 6.0 reliably so I can't wait to try out the new version and provide feedback. I'm now retired so hopefully I'll have time to really give it a workout.

RIL

Oct 11, 2020
Does the current version (SpinRite 6.0) work on 1TB HDD? I have two HDDs ( Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB-руб 2,241) in RAID (mirror) which has been spinning for over four (4) years continuously.

I just tested the HDDs on "UserbenchMark" (pictured) and I wonder if these disks are supported:

1602478751587.png

Last edited:

Doofus53

Dis-membered
Oct 12, 2020
Thanks for all your efforts and productivity, Steve. I've used SpinRite for a number of years and I am eagerly awaiting the bright and shiny new version.

ChrisQuinn

Oct 3, 2020
I now wait with great anticipation. I lost a 16TB drive last week. It started with a few errors while writing a file. I immediately copied all the data I did not yet have backed up and stopped writing to the drive. A few of the files were constant errors so after trial and error I got all but about 200GB of data copied. Next I thought I could try to run a surface test to see if the SMART technology would help at least mark the sectors bad and maybe, if I am lucky, allow me to read what is left. Alas, that killed it for now. My last hope is that SpinRite will do its magic. To that end I have just finished building a new Machine that will be dedicated to run SpinRite. So Steve, Please help. I am truly in need now rather than just wanting to pre-emptively test my drives. For now the drive will sit on a shelf, but I would really like to claim my replacement under warranty.

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
@ChrisQuinn I would dearly love to be able to help you... but there's just no realistic way that I'm going to have anything like v6.1 in short order. I still have a lot of careful work to do. What did that drive cost? A troubled 16TB drive would be useful for testing. So I would probably be willing to purchase it from you at any time, now or in the future. Thus you could remove the issue of warranty replacement from your thinking.

ChrisQuinn

Oct 3, 2020
I paid $372 for it back in August. New ones are $354 today. In order to get the warranty I first need to go through Amazon as this was a part of a larger order. and now after SN786 I even start to wonder if it is a Fake. The serial number does appear to be valid, but that is no guarantee as you well know. I find it curious that this happened at right about the 12TB size, you don't have to guess what I am thinking. All of that said, I'm not comfortable selling it. But let me think about it and maybe I can send it to you. I just have to get comfortable with that in thinking what data is on the drive.

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
I completely understand, Chris. I think that you should pursue the warranty if you can. I don't want you to lose money on this. If you don't want to sell it, at least you can have any commercial software (SpinRite 7, Beyond Recall, etc.) at no charge... Because there's no way I could ever take your money. But, also... If you're not comfortable about what might be on the drive, I totally understand that, too. (y)

Reactions: Barry Wallis

jamesmberry

Oct 1, 2020
I'm definitely interested in seeing the forward movement of SpinRite with the many fans of the product. I was never able to get SR6 to run on my 2012 Asus laptop (has a newer WD Blue 1 TB SATA) and I'd love to keep that laptop running. Your staff gave me guidance but it didn't allow me to run SR6 on that drive (probably UEFI issue). My new rig (HP Omen) has an upgraded Samsung 970 (M.2 NVME) 1 TB (started as a 512GB + 32GB optane) that's smoking fast and gives me no issues (also is backed up regularly). Thanks for your good work and I'm about to start my pursuing the Security+ and your explanation of topics should help me out a lot.

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
Glad to have you here, @jamesmberry. If you're curious, you can check today that SRv6.1 will run on any machine tomorrow by using the InitDisk utility with the /freedos command-line option to prepare a bootable USB “thumb-drive.” If you can get any machine to boot to DOS, then SpinRite will run on that machine. If it's not possible to boot and run FreeDOS on a machine — due to UEFI-only and no support for the traditional BIOS environment — then that machine will need SRv7.

Dave

Dave Jenkins, N1MXV
Sep 16, 2020
Gardner, MA (USA)
Glad to have you here, @jamesmberry. If you're curious, you can check today that SRv6.1 will run on any machine tomorrow by using the InitDisk utility with the /freedos command-line option to prepare a bootable USB “thumb-drive.” If you can get any machine to boot to DOS, then SpinRite will run on that machine. If it's not possible to boot and run FreeDOS on a machine — due to UEFI-only and no support for the traditional BIOS environment — then that machine will need SRv7.
@Steve, this response, minus the opening salutation, would be good to pin to the top of this thread.

ChrisQuinn

Oct 3, 2020
I completely understand, Chris. I think that you should pursue the warranty if you can. I don't want you to lose money on this. If you don't want to sell it, at least you can have any commercial software (SpinRite 7, Beyond Recall, etc.) at no charge... Because there's no way I could ever take your money. But, also... If you're not comfortable about what might be on the drive, I totally understand that, too. (y)
@Steve After thinking about it and discussing it with a colleague I am feeling more comfortable sending the drive to you than I am with the data in tact sending it back to Seagate. The data is not sensitive, it is only a few archives of my original 4K and BluRay disks. (yes, I did purchase these and I have and do retain them in my library). I can't do a good wipe yet since Beyond Recall is not available, nor can I recover without a copy of 6.1 or later. If I return it under warranty then I feel my disks will end up on the dark web. I don't want that either.

That leaves me with either destroying the drive in other ways (in the past I take them apart as the platters make real nice mirrors for sitting under nick knacks), keeping it until I can recover it myself, or sending/selling it to someone that can use it to create the best recovery tool available, and about the only person I would trust to destroy the data ate their earliest convenience. Yes, that is you.

I would rather not discuss the details on a public chat, how can we discuss privately the next steps?

Reactions: Barry Wallis