FYI SpinRite's Development Roadmap

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • New Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

DarkwinX

Sep 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
If you need beta testers for Spinrite Steve let me know I’m interested. My current version 6.0 will not work on my large capacity HDs.
The ReadSpeed benchmark will practically be beta testing for the driver technology that will power Spinrite 6.1. If you haven't already, check out the about page (posted a few posts up).

PeterBursky

Sep 28, 2020
Until we have a dedicated SpinRite forum here (as we certainly will), this is the best place to hang:

This user does not have permission to use the HTML BB code.
The link above is to a short 2-page PDF summary of the current plan (always subject to change) for SpinRite's future.

Note that “ReadSpeed” is NOT YET READY. I wanted to get things setup here, first. I'll certainly be announcing it (and everything else) here. So be sure to “Watch” this forum (go up a level to Watch all new threads) for announcements. Thanks! (y)
Hi Steve

SpinRite 6.1 can't be here soon enough! I really wish i could run SR on my large, multi-terabyte disks, without them being reported with incorrect size in the UI.
Looking forward for when you release the final/finished product!

Pajh

Sep 28, 2020
Beyond Recall is sorely needed. Greatly looking forward to this in addition to SpinRite advancements.

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Beyond Recall is sorely needed
I don't agree. I mean we don't have a Gibsonian solution to disk wiping, but there are utilities from the manufacturer, as well as DBAN. DBAN should be sufficient for spinning media and the manufacturer utilities should handle SSDs. And you always have hammers and fire for the paranoid.

Reactions: Barry Wallis

Pajh

Sep 28, 2020
I trust Gibson a lot more than the manufacturers for secure deletion. Secure deletion is a sensitive matter that requires the utility be from a highly trusted creator, trust in that that entity will do the right thing but also in technical know how. Manufacturers have gotten it wrong on both regards too many times in the past for me to have full trust in them. Had problems with DBAN in the past.

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
@Pajh secure deletion of a SSD is usually done by electrically zapping all the flash cells (at once or in sequence.) The way flash works, you "clear" it by setting all the cells to 1 and then write individual cells with 0 to set your data. This is a normal part of the activity, so it's not anything special.

Additional, people who actually care about security, buy drives with firmware that encrypts all data at rest. Erasing them (using the manufacturer's utility) is as simple as zeroing the area where the key info is stored. This is virtually instantaneous. This is what Apple does, for example.

You're free to be paranoid enough to think you need something special that only Steve can provide, but Steve is not going to provide you with a sledge hammer or matches, which is what the truly paranoid should use.

Barry Wallis

Magician in Training
I trust Gibson a lot more than the manufacturers for secure deletion. Secure deletion is a sensitive matter that requires the utility be from a highly trusted creator, trust in that that entity will do the right thing but also in technical know how. Manufacturers have gotten it wrong on both regards too many times in the past for me to have full trust in them. Had problems with DBAN in the past.
What problems did you have with DBAN?

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
Beyond Recall is sorely needed. Greatly looking forward to this in addition to SpinRite advancements.
Thanks, Pajh. I won't bother defending my plans to anyone here, since no one knows what I have in mind. Suffice to say that I doubt you'll be disappointed by what I do have in mind, and that it will be as unique as all of the other things I have created. That's all of the fun!! (y)

MarkyMac

Sep 30, 2020
Can we also get access to the Beta versions of SpinRite and the associated doodads here? I've just gotten lost trying to get access elsewhere, and I used to use NewsGroups a lot.
I'm still gutted from the 6+ years wasted on SQRL. 6.X owner from years back.
Upset Apple Inc. user that was very excited back in 2013 or whenever that was.

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
Can we also get access to the Beta versions of SpinRite and the associated doodads here? I've just gotten lost trying to get access elsewhere, and I used to use NewsGroups a lot.
In a word, Yes. Once we have a release that's stable enough for wider pre-release, it will be announced and made available for general release here. Users will need to have either their current SpinRite serial number — available in the SpinRite UI, or their original purchase transaction number from their receipt, if they have it. Either of those will identify the user as a currently-valid SpinRite v6 owner, which will enable them to download their own upgrade at any time.

crusader27529

Sep 18, 2020
Sneads Ferry, NC
Absolute speed to run spinrite on large drives isn't always important, as many home users just use it to fix/refresh their cache of drives, and use externally mounted drives on a test setup. The time for verification of a drive thus doesn't impact much, as it's not like that the drive being recovered affects a production system.

As such, I (and likely others) would prefer to be able to use an external drive tray or docking station connected through a USB port. Personally, I don't have any current desktop systems, just laptops of various capabilities, so using such a device for spinrite to verify external drives absolutely would require an external connection, say a USB port.

Currently I have a file server based on a SuperMicro 2U server running FreeNAS, and since I use a RAID card in IT more for my drive connections, I have extra SATA/SAS ports that are available. The docking ststion I have has an eSATA port, and I have a SATA to eSATA cable that should allow me to test in the external dock, but it has not been tested yet. The server isn't in use 24X7, so I plan on testing when it's not being used as a server, but being able to use a laptop through USB would be ideal. I suppose that I could mount drives to be tested in a hot swap drive tray after removing the other 8 drives in the system, but I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.

BTW, I've not tested you current code on the SuperMicro server.....I watch the newsgroup but can't post anything there.

Reactions: SDMark

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
I very much want to get to USB-attached devices. And I WILL look at how big a deal that will be. The question is only whether USB or UEFI should come first. My inclination is to do the quicker of the two first so that we won't need to wait as long for the next feature bump. But first we need to get SRv6.1 out with high-speed support for directly connected IDE/ATA/SATA drives. And, of course, USB =will= still work... they'll just be pokey.

Raymond Day

Sep 26, 2020
I think it is super that you program in Machine Language. I learned Z80 on the old TRS-80 before basic. The 6502 on the commodore 64 but never on the 686 I guess you call it. But doing Machine Language learned how to do electronics too because it's like about down to that doing Machine Language. Every Language converts down to Machine Language any way.

Thank you Steve.

-Raymond Day

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I self-taught myself to program in BASIC on the Vic-20, which was pretty limiting experience. It wasn't until I got a C-64 that I also got an Assembler and thus taught myself to program 6502 assembly. Eventually I got paid as a professional programmer for a small C-64 project I coded in 6502. After that I had enough money that I moved on to Amiga and then the PC, and I've never been back to 6502 assembly. I messed around writing a terminal program in 8086 assembly (based on someone else's code that I learned from) but high level languages were just too alluring to me because I could be so much more productive. As a programmer I am pretty much the opposite of @Steve... I prefer high level constructs like classes and object oriententedness.

PulseTsar

Oct 1, 2020
I very much want to get to USB-attached devices. And I WILL look at how big a deal that will be. The question is only whether USB or UEFI should come first. My inclination is to do the quicker of the two first so that we won't need to wait as long for the next feature bump. But first we need to get SRv6.1 out with high-speed support for directly connected IDE/ATA/SATA drives. And, of course, USB =will= still work... they'll just be pokey.
Not sure about which is faster, but in terms of need I would vote for UEFI. Without it, the list of systems I own on which I can still use SpinRite shrinks day by day.

Reactions: Steve

Barry Wallis

Magician in Training
I think it is super that you program in Machine Language. I learned Z80 on the old TRS-80 before basic. The 6502 on the commodore 64 but never on the 686 I guess you call it. But doing Machine Language learned how to do electronics too because it's like about down to that doing Machine Language. Every Language converts down to Machine Language any way.
Now you're bringing back memories. I started assembly language coding on an IBM System 360 (mainframe). For personal computing I had a Sinclair ZX80 with cassette tape backup and a thermal printer. After that I got a Coleco*Vision Adam (because of the letter-quality printer) with CP/M. I programmed it in assembly, Logo and Basic. The best part is it used high-speed random access tape for storage. Finally, I bought an IBM 286 clone, loaded Windows 3.0 and never looked back.