FYI SpinRite's Development Roadmap

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • New Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
Until we have a dedicated SpinRite forum here (as we certainly will), this is the best place to hang:

SpinRite's Development Roadmap

The link above is to a short 2-page PDF summary of the current plan (always subject to change) for SpinRite's future.

Note that “ReadSpeed” is NOT YET READY. I wanted to get things setup here, first. I'll certainly be announcing it (and everything else) here. So be sure to “Watch” this forum (go up a level to Watch all new threads) for announcements. Thanks! (y)

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
Can't wait, Steve -- SpinRite is still my goto program for drive repairs!!
What's so cool is that, as we've seen, it turns out that SpinRite is also able to repair SSD's! They suffer from different, but closely related, troubles due to their having so much data crammed into such a small space. Like “spinners”, they make extensive use of on-the-fly error correction.

DMargulis

Sep 23, 2020
FWIW, I'm in the UEFI first camp even though I also could really use the USB functionality.

But it's really great to hear that your working on updates!

Gerbear42

Sep 23, 2020
6.1 -pre-alpha segments, bits and pcs. GIMME. I will hunt and peck in IMSAI VDP60 if I must.

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Secure Boot is disabled on the PC
This is not disabling UEFI though. This is just disabled Secure Boot, which simply means that the boot loader will make no attempt to verify the image it finds to boot, but will simply proceed to execute it unconditionally. Secure Boot is a useful feature for security minded folks, as it can prevent boot/root kits. It unfortunately gets in the way of booting older software and experimental software that has no signature that the system can verify.

Reactions: Barry Wallis

Barry Wallis

Magician in Training
This is not disabling UEFI though. This is just disabled Secure Boot, which simply means that the boot loader will make no attempt to verify the image it finds to boot, but will simply proceed to execute it unconditionally. Secure Boot is a useful feature for security minded folks, as it can prevent boot/root kits. It unfortunately gets in the way of booting older software and experimental software that has no signature that the system can verify.
So I'm hosed. :-(

2jcm

Sep 24, 2020
Looking forward to the updates. Can't remember the version, but I've been with SpinRite since the late 60's or early 70's. Thanks Steve!

Simon Zerafa

Sep 18, 2020
Hi Steve,

As I have already commented before it seems to me that UEFI support really needs to come as quickly as it can.

As much as I like the idea of USB support, UEFI support is deperately needed for Spinrite to work seemlessly as possible on modern PC based hardware.

So, reluctently, I'm voting for UEFI before USB, assuming this is a democracy with voting privlages 😉

Kind Regards

Simon

Peter

Sep 24, 2020
Until we have a dedicated SpinRite forum here (as we certainly will), this is the best place to hang:

This user does not have permission to use the HTML BB code.
The link about is to a short 2-page PDF summary of the current plan (always subject to change) for SpinRite's future.
SpinRite has been a real performer on many storage devices, both magnetic and solid state, and has made for some really happy clients of mine over the years. Such a great program. Started with SpinRite version 3, in the company I worked for, and I still use SpinRite today! What a great tool, thanks Steve.

Reactions: TPS

Dave

Dave Jenkins, N1MXV
Sep 16, 2020
Gardner, MA (USA)

The link above is to a short 2-page PDF summary of the current plan (always subject to change) for SpinRite's future.
in SpinRite's Development Roadmap you say:
v7.0 will be a paid upgrade, with no-charge for recent SpinRite v6.x purchasers.
"recent" is a tad nebulous. Presumably, that would be narrowed down at some point.

Last edited:
  • Done!
Reactions: Steve

Barry Wallis

Magician in Training
Hi Steve,

As I have already commented before it seems to me that UEFI support really needs to come as quickly as it can.

As much as I like the idea of USB support, UEFI support is deperately needed for Spinrite to work seemlessly as possible on modern PC based hardware.

So, reluctently, I'm voting for UEFI before USB, assuming this is a democracy with voting privlages 😉

Kind Regards

Simon
As much as I agree with you, I suspect this is a benevolent dictatorship.

dnelson60559

Sep 24, 2020
It sure has been a while! I started on version 5 I think and I might have version 6 - not sure anymore. I also loved ChromaZone but was disappointed when it would no longer work on higher resolutions. Looking forward to upgrading.

ol5

Sep 17, 2020
While I would get for more benefit from doing USB first, I think UEFI makes more sense because Spinrite already works with USB. it is just unbearably slow.

aatech

TechUser
Sep 25, 2020
I concur on the priority on making SpinRite work on UEFI. Been doing much research for a friend on how best to migrate to Windows 10 while beefing up security/privacy and reached the conclusion that Secure Boot is necessary, so is Full Disk Encryption (FDE) on the system drive. UEFI bootkit/rootkit seems to be an emerging threat, and unfortunately Secure Boot seems to be the best antidote, where Secure Boot requires UEFI.

This also brings up another question - will SpinRite work on drives / partitions / volumes that have been locked using FDE like Bitlocker, VeraCrypt, BestCrypt etc.? The trifecta of startup security, especially in modern company-owned laptops, seems to be: UEFI + Secure Boot + FDE. So it might be helpful to ensure that SpinRite works in those PCs.

Another issue - It seems that if a disk/volume is protected by FDE with Pre-Boot-Authentication turned on (which is one of the main reasons people install FDE), the startup bootloader of the Disk Imaging software would not work, because that bootloader conflicts with the bootloader of the FDE app. I wonder if the use of SpinRite would affect the effective working of the bootloader of either the Disk Imaging app or the FDE app?