Spinrite on Virtualisation Station

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

ade_m

Jan 29, 2021
Hi,

I've a USB backup drive that's connected to a remote QNAP NAS, that I think has some faults on it. The drive is configured with an NTFS filesystem.

The QNAP OS software doesn't have any tool or command I can find to scan the NTFS filesystem for erors.

But - it does have Virtualisation Station, a QNAP implementation. And I'm able to virtually connect the USB drive through to it.

I'm a long time user of Spinrite so thought I'd try booting a VM in that configuration.

But Spinrite tells me that the partition size doesn't match what the bios is telling it. Its an error I've seen many times on my laptop internal drive, and I've no idea why its telling me that. The BIOS is running in Legacy BIOS rather than UEFI.

If I boot a Gandalf ISO up, Windows within the VM is able to "see" the disk without any problem. I'm current scanning the sectors with another tool but I don't think it'll try any repairs.

If anyone has any idea as to why spinrite can't see the drive/partition in the same way as Gandalf, please let me know.

Thankyou!

(note: at the speed the 8TB drive is disk checking (5Mb/s), it'll probably be a few weeks before it completes, so no rush on any reply!

Lob

What could possibly go wrong?
Nov 7, 2020
SpinRite 6 is limited to 2.2Tb - you'll be awaiting 6.1 eagerly (that may solve the issue, @Steve will know better, the method of connecting the drive might not work well but I do test most of my drives in a USB dock successfully (and slowly)).

https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-801.txt (search 2.2, it's the limitation of the addressing)

bertwin

Oct 6, 2020

ade_m

Jan 29, 2021
haha... my current scan says it'll take 406 hrs.. so maybe sprinrite 6.1 will be out before it actually finishes!

But yeah that makes sense then, its an 8Tb drive and will look forward to 6.1 (and 7!) Thanks for the replies folks.