ShieldsUP through a VPN

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

JohnLately

Sep 30, 2020
Can anyone explain why running ShieldsUP on my WIN10 machine produces a completely passed "stealth" report but when I have my VPN turned on all 1051 ports are "closed" and 5 of the ports are held "open". Ports 80, 443, 501, 502 & 853 are the ports being held open. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Barry Wallis

Magician in Training
Can anyone explain why running ShieldsUP on my WIN10 machine produces a completely passed "stealth" report but when I have my VPN turned on all 1051 ports are "closed" and 5 of the ports are held "open". Ports 80, 443, 501, 502 & 853 are the ports being held open. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
It's testing the state of the ports on your VPN exit node.

Upvote 0

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Are you testing your machines IP address directly, or are you testing via the VPN. I presume you are going to the ShieldsUp page through the VPN. If this is the case, the device being testing is not your PC but rather the VPN's exit node. It's probably got other things going on there, and is not making any efforts at appearing stealthy.

Reactions: DanR and hyperbole
Upvote 0

JohnLately

Sep 30, 2020
Thank you for the information. Yes, I am running the test through the VPN. It bothers me that these ports are being held open by the VPN.

Upvote 0

SeanBZA

Oct 1, 2020
Really not an issue, the VPN is acting as a server for multiple clients, so open ports have to be there for other clients, and have to accept data. There is almost no way to actually get any sort of information about a particular user, and the only reason these ports are open, and not stealth, is that other users have used them to send data, and for a while afterwards they will accept data from any other source. If they direct some of it to you, by the sender getting lucky in that they get a packet number in a range that might be consistent with your sending data out on another port, it might be routed to you, where your incoming firewall will simply discard the data unacknowledged, and thus still give no real response.

VPN is basically appearing like another NAT router, where you have no real idea where the originating computer is, and also no real idea as to what they send, as it is mixed with a lot of other data, so you need a lot more work to identify a particular user, which does mean you need to have the raw data stream, which a port scan is not able to do.

Reactions: hyperbole
Upvote 0