Remote Support Solutions

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

muthashipp

Feb 16, 2021
So after all these months of pandemic, I'm finally looking at some remote support options. I need something for "casual" consulting purposes, so paid, but not too much. Need a ongoing access to a few machines. One tech license.

Some months ago, i'd narrowed down to Splashtop and Zoho Assist. I noticed @Steve 's recommendation of Remote Utilities. I had considered them before, but discarded because their parent company is based in Russia. Hmmm.

Any recommendations out there or other thoughts on these options?
Over the past years I have tried most of all and have found ConnectWise to be the best snd most powerful of all. I prefer to use the old from us but they push the cloud-based.

Brian

rfrazier

Sep 30, 2020
The fatal blow (not the only issue) for me was when a remote machine had an old version of the software and TV refused to connect to it for that reason.
@MichaelRSorg I know what you mean. I've had the same experience and have had to walk the remote person through an upgrade. I usually use TeamViewer Quick Support rather than the full package on their end so it's not quite as bad. It's a bit of a pain, but I can see some logic in wanting all security updates to be included on both ends.

May your bits be stable and your interfaces be fast. :cool: Ron

JimWilliamson

Nov 15, 2020
I enjoy having two, different, remote support packages at hand (ShowMyPC and SplashTop). Should one have a connect issue like mentioned with TV, or for some reason I need to disconnect/reconnet the primary remote connection, I'll open a second channel via the "other" remote program I subscribe to and tend the disconnect/reconnect to the primary remote connection. It is a rare event though it is handy to have the option (and not disturb a client).

Intuit

Dec 27, 2020
Video on the Quick Assist page doesn't cover working from elevated processes... often an issue with remote assistance. Virtually all of my remote assist sessions require working with elevated processes.

Warwagon

Sep 20, 2020
TeamViewer is cool. Be ware it tries to install a service in the PC that's always waiting for connections.

Ron
That is one of the things that makes my skin crawl about remote support solutions where the customer gives the rep the code. It should be the other way around. Just seems like a security nightmare to have a support solution always waiting for connections.

rfrazier

Sep 30, 2020
@Warwagon TeamViewer has a Quick Support option that I have family members start only when needed. But, to be the controller, I have to run the full version on my end. I have to keep remembering to shut down the background service. It is a bit of a bother.

May your bits be stable and your interfaces be fast. :cool: Ron

Intuit

Dec 27, 2020
Video on the Quick Assist page doesn't cover working from elevated processes... often an issue with remote assistance. Virtually all of my remote assist sessions require working with elevated processes.
I've had the opportunity to use it several times and the non-elevated Quick Assist process *is* able to work with elevated process windows.

Working with other remote support tools, I've had to elevate the remote support tool itself in order for it to interact with elevated process windows.

jchristyr

Sep 24, 2020
I have been using Instant Housecall for remote support since the pandemic stop in person visits. It is $29/month billed annually for the starter level which is enough for me. I was partly persuaded by the story of the founding of the company. It has worked well for me, with all my customers and family installing it from an download I have on my website. I also use it to time shift some work at the repair shop I work. Waiting on updates or scans can be done at home instead of the shop.

saguaro

Oct 22, 2020
I'll just say that I'm pretty happy with Splashtop. Works well for remote support and my limited remote management needs and the price is reasonable. Appreciate the advice here.

I noticed a few weeks ago that Team Viewer is now a sponsor on the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula 1 Team, along with Crowdstrike. I haven't seen Lewis Hamilton doing any Team Viewer commercials though.