Closed Release Candidate 6

• SpinRite v6.1 Release #3
    Guest:
    The 3rd release of SpinRite v6.1 is published and may be obtained by all SpinRite v6.0 owners at the SpinRite v6.1 Pre-Release page. (SpinRite will shortly be officially updated to v6.1 so this page will be renamed.) The primary new feature, and the reason for this release, was the discovery of memory problems in some systems that were affecting SpinRite's operation. So SpinRite now incorporates a built-in test of the system's memory. For the full story, please see this page in the "Pre-Release Announcements & Feedback" forum.
    /Steve.
  • Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for some very handy tips!

/Steve.
  • BootAble – FreeDOS boot testing freeware

To obtain direct, low-level access to a system's mass storage drives, SpinRite runs under a GRC-customized version of FreeDOS which has been modified to add compatibility with all file systems. In order to run SpinRite it must first be possible to boot FreeDOS.

GRC's “BootAble” freeware allows anyone to easily create BIOS-bootable media in order to workout and confirm the details of getting a machine to boot FreeDOS through a BIOS. Once the means of doing that has been determined, the media created by SpinRite can be booted and run in the same way.

The participants here, who have taken the time to share their knowledge and experience, their successes and some frustrations with booting their computers into FreeDOS, have created a valuable knowledgebase which will benefit everyone who follows.

You may click on the image to the right to obtain your own copy of BootAble. Then use the knowledge and experience documented here to boot your computer(s) into FreeDOS. And please do not hesitate to ask questions – nowhere else can better answers be found.

(You may permanently close this reminder with the 'X' in the upper right.)

@LSI11-23 :

I have an interim test release of SpinRite for you to try. It's "SRPR-601.EXE". The way you obtain it is a bit tricky since it's not meant to be done normally or often. Go to the /prerelease.htm page as usual at GRC.com. Enter your current license serial number to obtain the page with the regular download links — but don't click on anything yet. Right-Click on the second (DOS only) link and COPY it to the clipboard. Then paste it into your browser's URL field — but don't hit Enter yet. First, EDIT the filename from the regular "SRPR.EXE" -to-> "SRPR-601.EXE" — and now you can hit enter. (y) The link should look like this:

This will deliver an interim test release with a new feature:

I've enhanced SpinRite's existing “diags” command-line option so that it now also dumps the contents of any drive's 512-byte (256-word) "IDENTIFY" sector data that SpinRite finds. And it should do this BEFORE that drive triggers the "Something Impossible Happened" interception on your machine with that drive. The intercept WILL still occur, but if you start SpinRite with "SRPR-601 diags", once you exit from SpinRite you should find a new .DBG file in the "SRLOGS" subdirectory.

Since the identical drive (to yours) I purchased does not misbehave in any way, my best guess is that something is screwy about the IDENTIFY data your drive is returning and SpinRite is not (yet) proactively protecting itself from bogus IDENTIFY data. So I'd like to see this so that I can understand exactly what's going on and I'll get it fixed.

THANKS!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: n9lya
@LSI11-23 :

I have an interim test release of SpinRite for you to try. It's "SRPR-601.EXE". The way you obtain it is a bit tricky since it's not meant to be done normally or often. Go to the /prerelease.htm page as usual at GRC.com. Enter your current license serial number to obtain the page with the regular download links — but don't click on anything yet. Right-Click on the second (DOS only) link and COPY it to the clipboard. Then paste it into your browser's URL field — but don't hit Enter yet. First, EDIT the filename from the regular "SRPR.EXE" -to-> "SRPR-601.EXE" — and now you can hit enter. (y) The link should look like this:

This will deliver an interim test release with a new feature:

I've enhanced SpinRite's existing “diags” command-line option so that it now also dumps the contents of any drive's 512-byte (256-word) "IDENTIFY" sector data that SpinRite finds. And it should do this BEFORE that drive triggers the "Something Impossible Happened" interception on your machine with that drive. The intercept WILL still occur, but if you start SpinRite with "SRPR-601 diags", once you exit from SpinRite you should find a new .DBG file in the "SRLOGS" subdirectory.

Since the identical drive (to yours) I purchased does not misbehave in any way, my best guess is that something is screwy about the IDENTIFY data your drive is returning and SpinRite is not (yet) proactively protecting itself from bogus IDENTIFY data. So I'd like to see this so that I can understand exactly what's going on and I'll get it fixed.

THANKS!!!
Hello Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to send me a debug version! I loaded it right away and got to work.
Your instructions were very clear and I had no issues downloading it or getting to run on the USB drive with the diag flag.

It did create the debug files, but they all were zero bytes..

F:\SRLOGS>dir
Volume in drive F is SPINRITE 61
Volume Serial Number is 131A-0F09

Directory of F:\SRLOGS

02/08/2024 12:16 AM <DIR> .
02/08/2024 12:16 AM <DIR> ..
02/10/2024 01:02 AM 0 1.DBG
02/10/2024 01:06 AM 0 2.DBG
02/10/2024 01:08 AM 0 3.DBG
3 File(s) 0 bytes
2 Dir(s) 255,991,808 bytes free

As you can see I repeated the test a few times to make sure I had not made a mistake.

One other item I failed to notice, is after the Impossible situation screen appears, my zima board locks up. I must remove/reapply power to get it back.
I suspect it locks up prior to the data getting saved to the dbg file.
On the off chance it was a connector issue I did swap to the right sata connector on the front of the zima board.. in case that made a difference.. but it did not - the result was the zero byte 3.DBG file.

If you would like I can send you the drive , let me know. I am happy to help out!!

Thanks,
Pat

Thanks for giving this a shot, Pat!
Could you explain where in the startup the "impossible error" occurs?
Either way, I'll have another test for you Saturday morning.
We'll figure this out.
Thanks!!!

Pat (@LSI11-23): I believe I've answered my question about exactly when this occurs: You would see the horizontal bar extend across the first line of the drive discovery and enumeration screen/window... then the "Something Impossible Happened" would pop-up. And by simulating the hang I've also recreated the 0-byte "0.DBG" file.

SO! ... SRPR-602.EXE is now waiting for you! This one will still hang as always, but before it does that it will flush the DOS buffer to the media so that you'll get the file we've been looking for.

Same routine as before to get the file. Just add the "-602" to the SRPR.EXE before you hit enter to obtain the test release.

Thanks!!

Reactions: SeanBZA
Hi Steve,

602 worked!
I am attaching the dbg file for your review.
Very interested in what you discover!

Thanks,
Pat

Attachments

• 4DBG.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 66
Thanks Pat! (@LSI11-23) — At first glance I'm sure we've found the culprit. (y)

I'll have another test release for you in a few hours that will understand what your drive is saying and will do the right thing. And SpinRite will have become better as a result. Thanks!

Pat (@LSI11-23):

Something is VERY broken with that drive. My best guess is that it somehow took some damage that mostly destroyed its “IDentify” sector information (the one that SpinRite's diags option now also dumps which you provided.) And I can understand why SpinRite was confused by this. So I'm glad that I saw this and can protect SpinRite from such oddness in the future.

The drive claims not to support "48-bit sector numbering" and, indeed, the 64-bits that are reserved for the drive's 48-bit sector count are all zero. So then we fall back to the older 32-bit sector count. And there the drive claims to have only 40,961 sectors, which is 20,972,032 bytes. In other words, 21MB. — But we know that it's supposed to be a 1TB drive.

Then, for "Model Number" the drive says “PS3111” with a serial number of “30321003210230313032”.

By comparison, the 1TB Inland drive I just purchased from Amazon, which you indicated was the same as yours, shows “SATA SSD” under Model (which is, admittedly, not very impressive) and its serial number is “23121410240508” which also doesn't look much like yours.

The reason your drive induced the SpinRite panic "Something Impossible Happened" message is that the drive also claims not to support “DMA” (Direct Memory Addressing) which really is not possible from a drive that's this new. But SpinRite believed it and punted the drive's handling back to the machine's BIOS figuring that maybe it would be able to make something of it. But the parameters for the drive's cylinders, heads and sectors is also bogus, which caused the panic.

I'm going to tweak SpinRite to be smarter about handling a drive that claims no DMA since that's just not possible. I'm inclined to have SpinRite mark the drive “RED” and refuse to work on it, since it's clearly deeply damaged... But since SpinRite is meant for dealing with messed up drives, I think it should err in favor of being permissive and allowing its user to decide what to do. So I'm going to have it "shrug" and agree to treat the drive as a 21MB SSD.

I'll have that for you to test before long. Thanks!

Reactions: LSI11-23
Are you decoding the IDENTIFY block by hand, or do you have a program that can do that? I'm about 1/4 of the way through writing a PowerShell script to decode it. It's fun because I've never had to play with bit shifting before :D

Reactions: Steve
Okay, Pat (@LSI11-23): SRPR-603.EXE is ready for you to test on that very wacky drive.

I was a bit more aggressive than I planned. Looking over the drive's “IDentify” data further, it makes a strong case for believing its claim that it does not support DMA at all (even though that's really not possible for any drive that was presumably once 1TB and also claims to support many of the latest ATA specification standards.) So I've decided to believe it and punt the handling back to the BIOS rather than “Red Flag” the drive as impossible for SpinRite to work with.

Consequently, I'm not 100% certain how the drive will behave now. Let's find out! Thanks!

Are you decoding the IDENTIFY block by hand, or do you have a program that can do that? I'm about 1/4 of the way through writing a PowerShell script to decode it. It's fun because I've never had to play with bit shifting before :D
I'm currently just doing it by hand, Colby... So a script to decode the block of data that SpinRite's DIAGS option dumps out would be VERY cool and, I'm certain, VERY popular! (y)

Here's the script: https://gitlab.com/GRC-Community/SpinRite-Logs/-/blob/main/Decode DBG IDENTIFY.ps1

v 001 decodes the first 138 bytes.

This script requires PowerShell 7. Further instructions are at the top of the script.

Here's what v 001 outputs for LSI11-23's block:
Code:
GcReserved1                               : False
GcRetired3                                : True
GcResponseIncomplete                      : False
GcRetired2                                : 3
GcFixedDevice                             : True
GcRemovableMedia                          : False
GcRetired1                                : 4
GcDeviceType                              : False
NumCylinders                              : 160
SpecificConfiguration                     : 51255
NumHeads                                  : 8
Retired1                                  : 0
NumSectorsPerTrack                        : 32
VendorUnique1                             : 0
SerialNumber                              : 30321003210230313032
Retired2                                  : 2
Obsolete1                                 : 4
FirmwareRevision                          : SBRM09.0
ModelNumber                               : PS3111
MaximumBlockTransfer                      : 128
VendorUnique2                             : 1
TcFeatureSupported                        : False
TcReserved                                : 0
CapCurrentLongPhysicalSectorAlignment     : 0
CapReservedByte49                         : 0
CapDmaSupported                           : False
CapLbaSupported                           : False
CapIordyDisable                           : False
CapIordySupported                         : False
CapReserved1                              : False
CapStandbyTimerSupport                    : False
CapReserved2                              : 1
CapReservedWord50                         : 512
ObsoleteWords51                           : 512
TranslationFieldsValid                    : 0
Reserved3                                 : 0
FreeFallControlSensitivity                : 1
NumberOfCurrentCylinders                  : 160
NumberOfCurrentHeads                      : 8
CurrentSectorsPerTrack                    : 32
CurrentSectorCapacity                     : 2684354560
CurrentMultiSectorSetting                 : 1
MultiSectorSettingValid                   : True
ReservedByte59                            : 0
SanitizeFeatureSupported                  : False
CryptoScrambleExtCommandSupported         : False
OverwriteExtCommandSupported              : False
BlockEraseExtCommandSupported             : False
UserAddressableSectors                    : 2684420096
ObsoleteWord62                            : 0
MultiWordDMASupport                       : 0
MultiWordDMAActive                        : 0
AdvancedPIOModes                          : 0
ReservedByte64                            : 0
MinimumMWXferCycleTime                    : 0
RecommendedMWXferCycleTime                : 0
MinimumPIOCycleTime                       : 0
MinimumPIOCycletimeIORDY                  : 0
AsZonedCapabilities                       : 0
AsNonVolatileWriteCache                   : False
AsExtendedUserAddressableSectorsSupported : False
AsDeviceEncryptsAllUserData               : False
AsReadZeroAfterTrimSupported              : False
AsOptional28BitCommandsSupported          : False
AsIEEE1667                                : False
AsDownloadMicrocodeDmaSupported           : False
AsSetMaxSetPasswordUnlockDmaSupported     : False
AsWriteBufferDmaSupported                 : False
AsReadBufferDmaSupported                  : False
AsDeviceConfigIdentifySetDmaSupported     : False
AsLPSAERCSupported                        : False
AsDeterministicReadAfterTrimSupported     : False
AsCFastSpecSupported                      : False

Here's what it outputs for my BIWIN SSD:
Code:
GcReserved1                               : False
GcRetired3                                : False
GcResponseIncomplete                      : False
GcRetired2                                : 0
GcRetired1                                : 0
NumCylinders                              : 16383
NumHeads                                  : 16
Retired1                                  : 0
NumSectorsPerTrack                        : 63
SerialNumber                              : 1936011301296
Retired2                                  : 0
Obsolete1                                 : 0
FirmwareRevision                          : S0704A0
ModelNumber                               : BIWIN SSD
TcReserved                                : 8192
CapReserved2                              : 1
CapReservedWord50                         : 12032
ObsoleteWords51                           : 512
Reserved3                                 : 0
FreeFallControlSensitivity                : 7
NumberOfCurrentCylinders                  : 16383
NumberOfCurrentHeads                      : 16
CurrentSectorsPerTrack                    : 63
CurrentSectorCapacity                     : 4228907259
CurrentMultiSectorSetting                 : 145
ReservedByte59                            : 0
UserAddressableSectors                    : 3266318055
ObsoleteWord62                            : 3815
ReservedByte64                            : 7
MinimumMWXferCycleTime                    : 3
RecommendedMWXferCycleTime                : 120
MinimumPIOCycleTime                       : 120
MinimumPIOCycletimeIORDY                  : 120
AsExtendedUserAddressableSectorsSupported : True
AsDeviceEncryptsAllUserData               : True
AsReadZeroAfterTrimSupported              : True
AsOptional28BitCommandsSupported          : True

Colby (@ColbyBouma):

The only thing I notice upon a quick scan is that you'll need to take into account the word ordering for multi-word fields, like the various total sector counts and capacities. In keeping with "Little Endian" style ordering, the least significant word of a multi-word field comes first. (y)

Thanks! I thought my results in those fields looked wrong.

v 004 output for LSI11-23. I had to remove a few properties to get this post under 10,000 characters.
Code:
NumCylinders                              : 160
NumHeads                                  : 8
NumSectorsPerTrack                        : 32
SerialNumber                              : 30321003210230313032
FirmwareRevision                          : SBRM09.0
ModelNumber                               : PS3111
FreeFallControlSensitivity                : 1
NumberOfCurrentCylinders                  : 160
NumberOfCurrentHeads                      : 8
CurrentSectorsPerTrack                    : 32
CurrentSectorCapacity                     : 40960
CurrentMultiSectorSetting                 : 1
UserAddressableSectors                    : 40961
ObsoleteWord62                            : 0
ReservedByte64                            : 0
MinimumMWXferCycleTime                    : 0
RecommendedMWXferCycleTime                : 0
MinimumPIOCycleTime                       : 0
MinimumPIOCycletimeIORDY                  : 0
AsExtendedUserAddressableSectorsSupported : False
AsDeviceEncryptsAllUserData               : False
AsReadZeroAfterTrimSupported              : False
AsOptional28BitCommandsSupported          : False
ReservedWords70                           : 0
QueueDepth                                : 0
ReservedWord75                            : 0
SacReserved0                              : False
SacSataGen1                               : True
SacSataGen2                               : True
SacSataGen3                               : True
SacReserved1                              : 0
SacNCQ                                    : False
SacHIPM                                   : False
SacPhyEvents                              : False
SacNcqUnload                              : False
SacNcqPriority                            : False
SacHostAutoPS                             : False
SacDeviceAutoPS                           : False
SacReadLogDMA                             : False
SacReserved2                              : False
SacCurrentSpeed                           : 0
SacNcqStreaming                           : False
SacNcqQueueMgmt                           : False
SacNcqReceiveSend                         : False
SacDEVSLPtoReducedPwrState                : False
SacReserved3                              : 0
SafsReserved0                             : False
SafsNonZeroOffsets                        : True
SafsDmaSetupAutoActivate                  : True
SafsDIPM                                  : False
SafsInOrderData                           : False
SafsHardwareFeatureControl                : False
SafsSoftwareSettingsPreservation          : False
SafsNCQAutosense                          : False
SafsDEVSLP                                : False
SafsHybridInformation                     : False
SafsReserved1                             : 0
SafeReserved0                             : False
SafeNonZeroOffsets                        : False
SafeDmaSetupAutoActivate                  : False
SafeDIPM                                  : False
SafeInOrderData                           : False
SafeHardwareFeatureControl                : False
SafeSoftwareSettingsPreservation          : False
SafeNCQAutosense                          : False
SafeDEVSLP                                : False
SafeHybridInformation                     : False
SafeReserved1                             : 0
MajorRevision                             : 0
MinorRevision                             : 248
CssSmartCommands                          : True
CssSecurityMode                           : False
CssRemovableMediaFeature                  : False
CssPowerManagement                        : False
CssReserved1                              : False
CssWriteCache                             : False
CssLookAhead                              : False
CssReleaseInterrupt                       : False
CssServiceInterrupt                       : False
CssDeviceReset                            : False
CssHostProtectedArea                      : False
CssObsolete1                              : False
CssWriteBuffer                            : True
CssReadBuffer                             : True
CssNop                                    : True
CssObsolete2                              : False
CssDownloadMicrocode                      : False
CssDmaQueued                              : False
CssCfa                                    : False
CssAdvancedPm                             : True
CssMsn                                    : False
CssPowerUpInStandby                       : False
CssManualPowerUp                          : False
CssReserved2                              : False
CssSetMax                                 : False
CssAcoustics                              : False
CssBigLba                                 : False
CssDeviceConfigOverlay                    : False
CssFlushCache                             : True
CssFlushCacheExt                          : True
CssWordValid83                            : 1
CssSmartErrorLog                          : True
CssSmartSelfTest                          : False
CssMediaSerialNumber                      : False
CssMediaCardPassThrough                   : False
CssStreamingFeature                       : False
CssGpLogging                              : True
CssWriteFua                               : False
CssWriteQueuedFua                         : False
CssWWN64Bit                               : False
CssURGReadStream                          : False
CssURGWriteStream                         : False
CssReservedForTechReport                  : 0
CssIdleWithUnloadFeature                  : False
CssWordValid                              : 0
CsaSmartCommands                          : True
CsaSecurityMode                           : False
CsaRemovableMediaFeature                  : False
CsaPowerManagement                        : False
CsaReserved1                              : False
CsaWriteCache                             : False
CsaLookAhead                              : False
CsaReleaseInterrupt                       : False
CsaServiceInterrupt                       : False
CsaDeviceReset                            : False
CsaHostProtectedArea                      : False
CsaObsolete1                              : False
CsaWriteBuffer                            : True
CsaReadBuffer                             : True
CsaNop                                    : False
CsaObsolete2                              : False
CsaDownloadMicrocode                      : False
CsaDmaQueued                              : False
CsaCfa                                    : False
CsaAdvancedPm                             : True
CsaMsn                                    : False
CsaPowerUpInStandby                       : False
CsaManualPowerUp                          : False
CsaReserved2                              : False
CsaSetMax                                 : False
CsaAcoustics                              : False
CsaBigLba                                 : False
CsaDeviceConfigOverlay                    : False
CsaFlushCache                             : True
CsaFlushCacheExt                          : True
CsaReserved3                              : True
CsaWords119_120Valid                      : False
CsaSmartErrorLog                          : False
CsaSmartSelfTest                          : False
CsaMediaSerialNumber                      : False
CsaMediaCardPassThrough                   : False
CsaStreamingFeature                       : False
CsaGpLogging                              : False
CsaWriteFua                               : False
CsaWriteQueuedFua                         : False
CsaWWN64Bit                               : False
CsaURGReadStream                          : False
CsaURGWriteStream                         : False
CsaReservedForTechReport                  : 0
CsaIdleWithUnloadFeature                  : False
CsaReserved4                              : 1
UltraDMASupport                           : 64
UltraDMAActive                            : 0

Okay, Pat (@LSI11-23): SRPR-603.EXE is ready for you to test on that very wacky drive.

I was a bit more aggressive than I planned. Looking over the drive's “IDentify” data further, it makes a strong case for believing its claim that it does not support DMA at all (even though that's really not possible for any drive that was presumably once 1TB and also claims to support many of the latest ATA specification standards.) So I've decided to believe it and punt the handling back to the BIOS rather than “Red Flag” the drive as impossible for SpinRite to work with.

Consequently, I'm not 100% certain how the drive will behave now. Let's find out! Thanks!
Steve,

603 was able to get past the intro screens and it detected the "21Mb" drive. I proceed to go for broke and run a level 3 on it. I did see the Dire Warning pop up, but there is no data on the drive that I need. It ran ( very quickly.. haha) and spinrite was able exit normally.
Attached are the dbg file and the level 3 log files.

Attachments

• 5.DBG.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 5.LOG.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 54
v 006 adds the rest of the properties. My script now parses the entire IDENTIFY block. However, I am far from any kind of expert in this field, so it's very likely I made some mistakes. Also, there are properties I'm sure I can represent better.

UPDATE: I added, changed, and fixed a bunch of things in my script. It is now v 013. I have updated the snippets below.
https://gitlab.com/GRC-Community/SpinRite-Logs/-/blob/main/Decode DBG IDENTIFY.ps1

Here's the output of v 013 for my BIWIN SSD:
https://gitlab.com/GRC-Community/SpinRite-Logs/-/snippets/3672264

Here's LSI11-23's:
https://gitlab.com/GRC-Community/SpinRite-Logs/-/snippets/3672265

Last edited:
Reactions: LSI11-23
RC 6 is behaving odd with my "Kanguru Flash Blu30 USB 3.0 8GB" drive. I am not sure if I should report this here or elsewhere? Mod if you remove for the wrong place, please tell me where to go. The issue is not a failure, but periodic 1 second pauses every 2-3 seconds throughout the duration of the scan. There are no error messages just pauses that last for 1 second every 2-3 seconds. If you want more details, let me know. I am going to try to dig up some previous builds to see if I can duplicate it but they may be in old snapshots on my Synology NAS shares.

Hi @MTShipp :

Yes... We've previously encountered this with some machine's BIOSes and their interaction with some drives, so I doubt you'll see anything different with older/earlier builds of SpinRite. You can probably try a different machine with a different BIOS since it's not common... But it is something we've run across before. I'll definitely be adding a mention of this behavior in v6.1's online FAQ.