ReadSpeed - good for testing server performance?

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

garethw

Oct 31, 2020
Hi All,

I'm doing some testing on a couple of servers and want to try and work out what my "best" configuration is going to be for disks. It's an older HP ML350 G6 server with the onboard RAID controller (P410i).

I am currently using phoronix, installed on Ubuntu on a USB stick to test the io performance of the disks but am wondering if ReadSpeed might be a better tool for the job.

If anyone is interested I am currently testing 2 x Kingston SSD's and want to test the following to find the best performance;
RAID Card in RAID0, individually and as a pair, RAID1 as a pair then
SATA controller using software RAID0 and RAID1 then maybe RAIDZ too
(I don't intend to use 0, just curious)

Any thoughts?

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
You know what they say, "measure twice and cut once". So if you don't have any measurements then you have no basis to make a decision. Certainly I expect ReadSpeed would be able to give you such a measurement tool.

AlanD

Sep 18, 2020
Rutland UK
I would expect the RAID card to give better performance than software RAID, and it would offload the processing from the CPU. Whilst ReadSpeed should tell you how the disks are performing, I think it would check each disk individually, not the performance of the array.