5.07: Many Additional Fixes & Improvements.
UPDATED NOTE: The lifting of SpinRite's 137GB access clamp by this 5.07 release has revealed the existence of many additional unsuspected BIOS bugs. The next (5.08) release will adopt a new proactive bug detection strategy that will (if it can be done) give us a robust solution where SpinRite will only clamp USB drives to 137GB when it's required.
The biggest new feature of this 5.07 pre-release is its management of the AMI BIOS USB-access bug(s).
The full list of fixes and improvements:
- Added "NoReWrite" command-line option to inhibit SpinRite repair/rewriting of incompletely recovered sectors.
- Updated command-line summary and FAQ with the two latest commands.
- Fixed blanking window's top line of screen.
- DynaStat now accepts either mm or mm:ss format for timeouts.
- AMI BIOS: SpinRite is "AMI aware", able to run unencumbered on non-AMI BIOS and able to patch buggy AMI BIOSes when found.
- Reworked BIOS error recovery to avoid explicit drive status querying since that hard-hangs HP BIOS.
- Fixed an data transfer incompatibility with old NVIDIA chipset (IDE drives).
- Fixed “order dependency” of the command-line sequence “diags graphic” -vs- “graphic diags” and also allows “graphics” to be used as
well since that seems more natural.
- Fixed *.LOG and *.DBG numbering mismatch. Now, the highest number of ANY numeric-only file will be found and ALL logging files of any sort will be given the next higher numbering.
- Production BIOS code contains debugging breakpoints which SpinRite had been intercepting. It no longer does so they will be treated as simple no-ops (as if SpinRite was not in the machine).
(VirusTotal is slightly less happy with this iteration with 1/65 detections.)