Closed Pre-Release 5.04

• Release Candidate 6
    Guest:
    We are at a “proposed final” true release candidate with nothing known remaining to be changed or fixed. For the full story, please see this page in the "Pre-Release Announcements & Feedback" forum.
    /Steve.
  • Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

Steve

(as in GRC)
Staff member
Feb 1, 2019
Southern CA, USA
www.grc.com
5.04: Another good step forward.

This further improves SpinRite's tolerance of very troubled drives. It also incorporates the new on-the-fly video system reinitialization that will be use to those who disconnect or turn their monitors off while SpinRite is running to then discover that the screen remains black/blank once it's reattached. Now and forevermore, pressing "Backspace" four times successively without other intervening keystrokes will trigger a video reinitialization that should bring video back.

You may obtain this update as before by going to GRC's Pre-Release page, entering your SpinRite license serial number or transaction code and clicking the links to obtain your personal pre-release copies of either the full Windows/DOS SpinRite and/or just the DOS code.

Thanks, all!

Reactions: SeanBZA
5.04: Another good step forward.

This further improves SpinRite's tolerance of very troubled drives. It also incorporates the new on-the-fly video system reinitialization that will be use to those who disconnect or turn their monitors off while SpinRite is running to then discover that the screen remains black/blank once it's reattached. Now and forevermore, pressing "Backspace" four times successively without other intervening keystrokes will trigger a video reinitialization that should bring video back.

You may obtain this update as before by going to GRC's Pre-Release page, entering your SpinRite license serial number or transaction code and clicking the links to obtain your personal pre-release copies of either the full Windows/DOS SpinRite and/or just the DOS code.

Thanks, all!
Steve, there is no smart data on this version!

Attachments

• SRPR5001.jpg
    SRPR5001.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 37
Steve, there is no smart data on this version!
I can't remember now where I saw it, but Steve indicated somewhere that SMART data was disabled in this version PR 5.04. He did not elaborate why. I ran 5.04 long enough to confirm the video changes and went back to 5.03 for going through this old stack of hard drives I'm working on.