Port 9999 - Abyss

• Release Candidate 6
    Guest:
    We are at a “proposed final” true release candidate with nothing known remaining to be changed or fixed. For the full story, please see this page in the "Pre-Release Announcements & Feedback" forum.
    /Steve.
  • Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

AlexC

Oct 4, 2020
Australia
Hi all,

I just ran a port scan on my home router (EdgeRouter X) and there appears to be a service running on port 9999 named 'abyss'. Does anyone know what this is?

1602999067397.png

ShieldsUP! shows port 9999 as 'stealth' on the WAN side.

Presumably it's some internal configuration web server?

A backdoor? A way (once securely configured) to access your router's configuration remotely?

You are correct.
I once used a Canon printer on my network, but it is no longer connected. Would port 9999 remain open even though the printer is no longer on the network?

No NAS on the network. The only devices on the network are a desktop, laptop, android phones and some raspberry pi's.