Export thread

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

Out with the old..... [SpinRite]

Lob

Lob

I cannot agree more with Steve's direction to pull the old, backward-compatible code from SR and push 6.x into an area where modern mass storage is the target of the tool. While it is all very interesting and nostalgic, the telemetry, if Steve could pull it, would likely give a clear story as to the targets being rescued by SR.

The main reason for this would actually be those needing the backwards compatibility would be able to use the 6.0 release to achieve their goal and I am sure the speed/performance gains are not as important to them given the drive capacity they are likely running with.

The performance will make SR more of a preventive maintenance tool rather than a tool to try to rescue a drive with this performance 👍

Barry Wallis

Barry Wallis

While it is all very interesting and nostalgic, the telemetry, if Steve could pull it,
I am positive that SpinRite does not include any telemetry.

pebkac

pebkac

I'm picturing Steve coding a whole DOS IP stack in Assembly so that users can be served with targeted ads while SpinRite works away at their drives.

P

PHolder

As Steve enjoys occasionally discussing on SN, there are ways to use hardware to send messages... maybe SpinRite could be modified to speed up and slow down its drive accesses in specific ways so that it sends out "All your bits are belong to you!" :D (This was meant as humour if that is at all unclear.)

Lob

Lob

so I am, Barry, it was a somewhat ironic "if" statement ;) :D

danlock

danlock

Using a limited form of telemetry wherein drives' Spinrite-obtained statistics are stored locally could be valuable over time. I think that was discussed in these forums or on Security Now! recently.

Telmeanius

Telmeanius

@Steve With such a large change to SpinRite 6.1 by pulling out all of the code to support legacy technology should you bump the Version number as well... Maybe to ver 7.0... pushing whatever you intended 7.0 to be to 8.0 or maybe follow what many software companies are doing now days by naming the version the year / Q... (SpinRite21Q4).

M

MacNala2

That would effectively mean that a change would be necessary every quarter I don't think @Steve could keep up to that schedule. No let us leave it the way @Steve put forward in the roadmap.