New to ValiDrive

• Release Candidate 6
    Guest:
    We are at a “proposed final” true release candidate with nothing known remaining to be changed or fixed. For the full story, please see this page in the "Pre-Release Announcements & Feedback" forum.
    /Steve.
  • Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

MikeB

Nov 30, 2023
I just started using ValiDrive and it's a great little tool! My question is on the report screen. Is there anything on that screen that I should look for that basically says "you should run SpinRite on this USB drive"?

Is there anything on that screen that I should look for that basically says "you should run SpinRite on this USB drive"?
Yes, if you have any blue or orange blocks, SpinRite may be able to help. If you have a run of red blocks, request a refund, then throw the drive away.

If ValiDrive took a long time to run, then a Level 3 pass in SpinRite may help, but the drive could also just be slow.

If you share a screenshot of your ValiDrive report, we can take a look and see if anything looks grim.

Sorry, I just realized I misspelled ValiDrive in the title. Here's a screenshot of the latest one I did. All green but i was wondering if any of the stats say "Run SpinRite", like the difference between the read and write %. On the drives I've ran it on, I've seen anywhere in between 40/60 and this one.
ValiDrive.png

That looks great to me! One I get back to ValiDrive 2.0, I expect that the writing performance will be more representative of the real world. But even now, the write "variance" is low, meaning that the drive appears to be "stable" across its surface. I'd say you're in good shape. (y)

Reactions: MikeB
Sorry, I just realized I misspelled ValiDrive in the title. Here's a screenshot of the latest one I did. All green but i was wondering if any of the stats say "Run SpinRite", like the difference between the read and write %. On the drives I've ran it on, I've seen anywhere in between 40/60 and this one.
View attachment 933
I think this one may be worth trying Level 3. It has a minimum write time of 2,163, so there's at least 1 spot that can write at a decent speed. The maximum and average are very slow.

Reactions: MikeB