My life goal: Make a Request For Comments.

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

vvbudh

Oct 1, 2020
Hello all, I'm vvbudh. Or Vbud, your virtual buddy.

I'd like some help with growing into a Network Security Engineer. Currently, I love networking, my little web server is growing again, IPv6 is fun, computers are cute when they talk to each other, "Arp arp! Where are you!!?" "Quiet down! I'm over here!" However, the work environment I'm currently in, doesn't appreciate or care about any of this, so I feel stuck and don't know what to do.

One of my life goals, (recently acquired) is to make an RFC. I'd like to be apart of the internet because then I'll become history and live forever! :D
Like this one https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2549!
or this one https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1925!!!! <-- Definitely this one.
I know this one exists, https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7322, I just don't feel ready to write one. What do I need to do to become ready to write an RFC?

I'd like some help, and don't know who to talk to or ask.

Since listening to security now, I've subscribed to ITProTV, and it's a great source for information. But it doesn't connect me with people that help me feel encouraged or supported.

So I suppose this question is a twoparter, How do I become ready to write an RFC, and how do I make like minded friends that encourage me to continue to grow?

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Anyone can write an a document in the RFC template, without a number specified, and then submit it through the IETF's process to see if they can get it accepted. RFC stands for Request for Comments... so you have to have an idea that others would want to comment on. Since this is about the Internet, this generally means it needs to be about the Internet... in particular a protocol or process related to networking. So you'd need to propose something new and interesting, write it up, probably code a prototype and submit, and hope it gets accepted. I am sure if you look on the IETF's web page(s) you'll find more info about the process.

I believe the SQRL protocol needs to be properly documented into an RFC, so maybe that is something you could help with. The others who have started this process, but seemingly abandoned it (probably because they got busy doing other things) are hanging out over on the SQRL forums at https://sqrl.grc.com/ Of course, merely editing a document about someone else's invention, may not get you the notoriety you desire, as you would not be able to claim someone else's design as your own.

Last edited:

vvbudh

Oct 1, 2020
Well, when I get a chance I'll check out SQRL, but it's been such an abysmal day it'll likely be this weekend. I'm open to starting small, by editing another's document. But it's not only notoriety that I'm after, it's more like a milestone. I feel like if I am able to create an RFC, it's a testament to what I'm capable of.

Barry Wallis

Magician in Training
My recommendation is to join any relevant groups, put together a solid learning plan and find a mentor. For example, I have a goal to audition as a magician member of the Academy of Magical Arts next year. To date I have become friends with several magicians, I've joined the Academy of Magical Arts as a non-magician member, I've become active on several relevant Facebook sites and I've started taking=Zoom magic classes with a professional magician (she was on Penn & Teller: Fool Us). It can take years, but you need to work your plan if you want to reach your goal.

Good luck.

vvbudh

Oct 1, 2020
I don't have the friends or the know how on how to make the plan, that's the issue. So my first step is likely the SQRL Forums?

Rasmus

Mr. Vind
Sep 14, 2020
Denmark
vindit.dk
Something that always is hard for me to grasp in RFCs is all the words about MUST NOT, MUST, SHOULD, SHOULD NOT. I guess knowing when to use each is half the battle.

You could start writing an RFC about when to use each :p