Living without whatsapp, is it possible ?

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

Roland

Oct 15, 2020
Hi there,

May 15 is rapidly approaching and i dont like the new privacy terms of whatsapp. It will be difficult for me though to not use whatsapp as i communicate with my family and a lot of groups for sporting etc for my kids. I was wondering: is there maybe a way to use whatsapp without violating my privacy. maybe use a prepaid phone or something.
Or is there a sort of whatsapp forwarding service or something ?

I have been thinking about this but there seems to be no way to use my phone without letting whatsapp and/or facebook know what my number is. Even if i dont use whatsapp/facebook myself, i will be in the contacts-list of my friends and if they use the apps then whatsapp/facebook will also know my name and number in that way.

Is seems like the only way to safely & privately communicate is not to use a mobile phone at all.

Thoughts anyone ?

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
You're asking for a way to exist and not exist at the same time. This isn't possible. Stop using FB properties, or put up with the abuse. There is no in-between. I would suggest that you, and all your important contacts, shift to something like Signal. WhatsApp is just Signal with FB's hooks baked in.

It certainly is possible as I deleted my WhatsApp account just before the first deadline. About 90% of family and friends are on Telegram and Signal, and the rest I just message using SMS or e-mail if I have to.

A nice thing about Telegram (surprise not Signal) is that you can hide your phone number and just invite people using an ID that you choose to use. Yes the phone was needed to register, but I figured that Telegram is not in the business of sharing the data, and at least those who are not close friends are not seeing my number.

Unfortunately the "best" messengers are those not at all in general use so you just don't find friends or colleagues there, and there is no magical way of converting 100+ people to an 'unknown' messenger service.

danlock

Sep 30, 2020
USA
If you have not yet accepted the new privacy policy, you can keep ignoring it (and it'll probably keep harassing you), but you won't lose access after May 15.
This isn't a response to @Huguette Casales directly, but it relates to the c|net link and its included text in the message.

I think a better way of wording that info from c|net is
After reviewing c|net's reworded summary, I decided a rewording of my own was even more pointless than the one provided by c|net, which includes SEVEN internal links to c|net articles and two or three external links to the whatsapp info (and those seven internal links completely disregard the many other c|net links on the page which are not part of the article text itself!).

I found the linked whatsapp FAQ to be much more concise with fewer redirections:

Last edited:
Hi Roland!

Personally, for me, I deleted my WhatsApp account back in February. I have been a long-time Signal user.

I have friends still using WhatsApp. But I've bitten the bullet and deleted my WhatsApp account, regardless of whether they want to switch to Signal or not. If they want to message me, they CANNOT reach me via WhatsApp. They have to use Signal or iMessage. If they are in Android and don't want to install Signal, then they cannot reach me except by text message. Due to security reasons, I will not answer text messages.

Sometimes, you just need to make a firm stand and make a unilateral move regardless of what others will do.

For me, I've convinced one group of friends to abandon WhatsApp and switch entirely to Signal. On the other group, there are a couple of hold-outs that refuses to install Signal.

Reactions: danie_vdm

JulioHM

Oct 25, 2020
For too many people, leaving WhatsApp -- or avoiding Facebook entirely for that matter -- is down right impossible. Try convincing an entire family tree, generations apart, plus your entire social circle to just stop using whatever they use now for social media and instant messaging, because... something, something, privacy? Whoever thinks this will happen because of privacy or security is dreaming.

Seems to me that tech savvy communities forget how impractical it has become to avoid giant corporations. Companies like Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple or Facebook... they rule the Internet in ways most people cannot fathom. They own and sell profiles about your life that show habits that even your don't realize you have them. Even if you try to hide from them, they can still track you. Besides, everyone else you know is hooked already. No one is leaving "the internet".

If you truly care about the privacy of your messages then, by all means, start using more secure apps (like Signal) and use those to keep track of sensitive information and secrets. You can probably manage to convince your closest family and friends that it's safer that way. Unfortunately, I doubt you will convince everyone.

In any case, do not be misled by a false sense of isolation you might get from cutting of the tip of an iceberg. At this point in time, deleting a social media account or uninstalling apps from your phone will do little to stop data gathering and profiling from their part.

Sep 17, 2020
London UK
99% of people using social media don't know/care/can't be bothered if they are tracked/message read/targeted! These are the same people sending pictures of kittens/puppies/their own genitalia. If you want to be "secure", get off the net, start using horse & cart to send your "secure message" and not be tracked. But even then there is that little man with the upturned collar & downturned hat that will be following that cart!.................. We are the 1%! that care.

Hi Roland!

Personally, for me, I deleted my WhatsApp account back in February. I have been a long-time Signal user.

I have friends still using WhatsApp. But I've bitten the bullet and deleted my WhatsApp account, regardless of whether they want to switch to Signal or not. If they want to message me, they CANNOT reach me via WhatsApp. They have to use Signal or iMessage. If they are in Android and don't want to install Signal, then they cannot reach me except by text message. Due to security reasons, I will not answer text messages.

Sometimes, you just need to make a firm stand and make a unilateral move regardless of what others will do.

For me, I've convinced one group of friends to abandon WhatsApp and switch entirely to Signal. On the other group, there are a couple of hold-outs that refuses to install Signal.
Yes I did exactly the same and some of my family must just message me via text messages now. Sometimes you do have to make a stand on your principles, and yes many of the friends who now have installed Telegram or Signal still have WhatsApp on their devices. But I do think the stand was the reason why in the end WhatsApp won't be disabled for those users still using it, so it had some benefit for those users too.

That does not mean I'm going back to using any Facebook products as the trust has long since been broken at a fundamental level. What I'd really want to see in future though was some single messaging protocol used across services like e-mail works.

Reactions: iSecurityGuru