LastPass changes will make free tier less useful

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

Roger Rabbit

Jan 3, 2021
Went to LastPass site and closed/deleted my account which they say will wipe all my info from their system. No choice to take their word for it, or as SG says TNO.

As for paying for the service, it is not about the $$, but the concept of having my CC info scattered/stored on more and more sites from everyone that wants a subscription. Some are unavoidable, but I limit this to sites/services, etc. where there is no option. Between every media outlet that puts up a paywall, and things like lastpass, I choose not to scatter my CC info out there when it is not necessary.

I use the same concept as far as bill paying. Most companies/utilitis for my routine bills offer a "draft" service where they have access to my checking account or credit card info. I can accomplish the same convenience by using my credit union's billpay service, and schedule them so I don't have to do anything to pay them each month.

Plus it save the hassle of having to update card info when the card expires and you get a new card. Thats when you find out how many companies are holding your CC info.

Again back to TNO!

HKPostOffice

Oct 6, 2020
In the recent episode of Windows Weekly, Paul Thurrott tore a strip off all the people complaining about this change in LP. His contention was the charge is only a couple of $$ per month and why would they expect to get this service for free. If they want free then use one of the basic facilities provided by your browser or OS. Leo and MJ agreed with him.
Seems like they want them back as a sponsor. Money talks.

It's disappointing they don't see though the tactic of making a paid feature free for a few years and then changing it back to paid. Trying to suck people in and force them to pay.

I just transferred all my stuff to Bitwarden, looking great so far.

Reactions: Roger Rabbit

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
It's disappointing they don't see though the tactic of making a paid feature free for a few years and then changing it back to paid. Trying to suck people in and force them to pay.
Umm.. this has to be one of the most common business practices in the online (and sometimes real) world. Have you not heard about the razor company that gives the razor away knowing you'll have to buy blades for a lifetime. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what LastPass did... you're not entitled to their services for free, and if you thought it would always stay free, you deluded yourself. There is no successful business that "makes it up in volume" on free.

You've found a solution that works for you at a price you like, then be happy about that and promote it... but don't beat up on LastPass for trying to make money. (I didn't start the thread to beat up on them, but to inform users they may need to change situation if they were impacted.)

Barry Wallis

Magician in Training
Umm.. this has to be one of the most common business practices in the online (and sometimes real) world. Have you not heard about the razor company that gives the razor away knowing you'll have to buy blades for a lifetime. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what LastPass did... you're not entitled to their services for free, and if you thought it would always stay free, you deluded yourself. There is no successful business that "makes it up in volume" on free.

You've found a solution that works for you at a price you like, then be happy about that and promote it... but don't beat up on LastPass for trying to make money. (I didn't start the thread to beat up on them, but to inform users they may need to change situation if they were impacted.)
Well said!

Roger Rabbit

Jan 3, 2021

And cheap inkjet printers that will milk you for ink cartridges. I suspect that they actually lose money on the hardware knowing they will recover it on the ink.

The most annoying was Quicken, which I have used from the DOS days. Then they started timebombing features, i.e. downloading from institutions. So for a while you paid for software that had timebombed features. And finially on to subscription by the year, for software installed on your computer. Of course they know that there really isn't an alternative. Yes, I know Mint and others are out there, but the learning curve is steep and functions missing. I used Mint for weeks in an attempt to leave Quicken, and still far too many issues and omissions and limitations.

But with LastPass, there are very workable alternatives. I invested a couple of hours in moving and learning to move from LP to BitWarden, and that task is done.

xox101

Jan 7, 2021

I was a paid LastPass user until they (LastPass) cancelled my subscription which had been running for a few years and then demanded twice the price while continuing to offer the same for free. Note, I knew I could get the same service for free but I choose to pay even though I was only using the basic functionality available which was a password manager across different devices. No family, no storage, no premium features. I had also promoted LastPass to numerous friends, family and business clients. I have no problem with a software company or developer making money from their product but do have a problem when the making money bit becomes more important than the serving your customers bit which is what happened a few years ago with the price doubling and which is what I suspect is happening again now. Hence my reason to move to Bitwarden.

Incidentally, anyone that has moved away from LastPass, make sure and take a copy of your usernames and passwords from LastPass and then delete your account and info.

rfrazier

Sep 30, 2020
I skimmed over the messages here but didn't read every one. Let's be honest, running something like LastPass CORRECTLY for millions of users takes a large investment in knowledge, talent, and infrastructure. I don't expect it for free. I gladly pay the fee for value received. And, I'm OK with them making a profit. Imagine that. If they cease to exist, I have to find a way to store over 100 passwords I can't possibly remember or type on multiple different platforms. That makes my life much harder.

Having said that, the price is starting to get a little high. It's not that I cannot afford $ 3 / mo. It's $ 36 / year for that, and $ 80 / year for VPN, and $ 100 a year for WordFence security for my website, and $ 48 per year for Pandora, and $ 180 / year for Audible, and $ 144 / year for Humble Bundle Games, and so on. So, every little thing adds up after a while.

But, if there's anything I use that's probably worth $ 3 / mo, it's probably LastPass. For the moment, it's an easy choice. It's harder psychologically to pay the full year at once.

May your bits be stable and your interfaces be fast. :cool: Ron

Or you can also use KeePass.

For those who wants cloud sync, you can put your .kdbx file in a cloud storage. All your devices/computers will get the password database from the cloud storage.

It is multiplatform.
  • Windows- use the original KeePass from the website
  • iOS/iPadOS/macOS- use KyPass (pay once and use forever. But separate payment for macOS and iOS/iPadOS. No subscription)
  • iOS/iPadOS/macOS- use StrongBox. Freemium model. Or you can pay outright separately for macOS and iOS/iPadOS. But more expensive than KyPass. No subscription)
I'm not familiar with Android KeePass client, but when I had Android, I used KeePassDroid.

Mainframe

Mainframes Forever!
I skimmed over the messages here but didn't read every one. Let's be honest, running something like LastPass CORRECTLY for millions of users takes a large investment in knowledge, talent, and infrastructure. I don't expect it for free. I gladly pay the fee for value received. And, I'm OK with them making a profit. Imagine that. If they cease to exist, I have to find a way to store over 100 passwords I can't possibly remember or type on multiple different platforms. That makes my life much harder.

Having said that, the price is starting to get a little high. It's not that I cannot afford $ 3 / mo. It's $ 36 / year for that, and $ 80 / year for VPN, and $ 100 a year for WordFence security for my website, and $ 48 per year for Pandora, and $ 180 / year for Audible, and $ 144 / year for Humble Bundle Games, and so on. So, every little thing adds up after a while.

But, if there's anything I use that's probably worth $ 3 / mo, it's probably LastPass. For the moment, it's an easy choice. It's harder psychologically to pay the full year at once.

May your bits be stable and your interfaces be fast. :cool: Ron
I agree with what you are saying. We (as consumers) are being "nickeled and dimed" to death. So, we something for free now and then, big deal! Big bucks, Paul Thurrott probably gets a lot of stuff for free via sponsorship. Most of us have budgets and bills that need to be payed every month. There are lots of things, I would love to get paid subscriptions for, but I don't have unlimited funds.

Many tech companies take advantage of the "Bait and Switch" model. Offer services for free, then take away those services for free unless you start paying $$$ monthly.

Roger Rabbit

Jan 3, 2021
@Roger Rabbit That is exactly how the free market works. I use HP's monthly ink subscription because it is cost effective for me.
My HP was out of date, drivers were becoming a challenge to install on Win 10, and time for a replacement Why I chose the Brother INKvestment Tank printer. Also, the features/function of the printer were inline with what I need.

Roger Rabbit

Jan 3, 2021
I'm 5 days post LastPass and converting to BitWarden. Now with routine usage I'm quite happy with BW. Functions a bit different but is much less temperamental than LP, and I much prefer the Android version vs. LP.

MichaelRSorg

Nov 1, 2020
RouterSecurity.org
Similar article on The Register
This was a great article and a great find by the researcher. I love the quote "...the presence of the trackers demonstrates a suboptimal attitude to security". No kidding. This is important, because without access to the source code, the use of trackers gives us a look at the corporate mindset.

That said, I am prejudiced against password managers

Not that they are wrong all time for everyone, but mostly because they are over-sold. For so many people, other schemes/approaches make more sense. In the blog I suggest a formula for sort-of kind-of generating passwords, but the big issue is to be flexible when it comes to managing passwords. And, all passwords are not the same. They vary drastically in importance. And, ease of use always means less security. Always.