Is AES-128 still safe to use?

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

Harry

Oct 13, 2020
There's an interesting note in the CISA SolarWinds incident response recommendations:

"Set account options for service accounts to support AES256_CTS_HMAC_SHA1_96 and not support DES, RC4, or AES128 bit encryption"

Is CISA suggesting that AES-128 is no longer secure? I understand that people should choose the most secure encryption reasonably possible, but that's different than instructing people to not support something. I hope this isn't one of those cases where CISA knows something and aren't telling us yet. A more conspiratorial view is that the US government knows a foreign adversary has cracked AES-128. I think that's unlikely, but possible.

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Well according to https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-57pt1r5.pdf (look for 5.6.3 Projected Security Strength Time Frames and Current Approval Status) 128bit is still permitted for use up until 2030. I suspect if there is any concern, it is related to the progress of quantum computers and the worry they might significantly reduce the strength of algorithms not specifically hardened again quantum computing.

Harry

Oct 13, 2020
Well according to https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-57pt1r5.pdf (look for 5.6.3 Projected Security Strength Time Frames and Current Approval Status) 128bit is still permitted for use up until 2030. I suspect if there is any concern, it is related to the progress of quantum computers and the worry they might significantly reduce the strength of algorithms not specifically hardened again quantum computing.
That may be the case, but has CISA given this advice anywhere else? It seems like it is in the context of the SolarWinds situation.