How to: Boot and Run SpinRite 6.X on a UEFI Machine

• Release Candidate 6
    Guest:
    We are at a “proposed final” true release candidate with nothing known remaining to be changed or fixed. For the full story, please see this page in the "Pre-Release Announcements & Feedback" forum.
    /Steve.
  • Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

DanR

Dan
Sep 17, 2020
SpinRite 6.0 requires a BIOS-DOS environment to boot and run in, as does SpinRite 6.1

To see if a UEFI machine is capable of this, it will be necessary to go into the BIOS emulation setup.

Look for the following items:

UEFI boot (enabled)

Secure boot (enabled)

CSM (Legacy) boot – (disabled)

If all three are present, then the first step would be to disable UEFI and Secure** boot and enable CSM boot.

**Caution: If Bitlocker is in use, disabling Secure boot may cause a loss of your Bitlocker keys. Make sure your Bitlocker keys are backed up.

If there is no CSM option, then SR 6.x cannot be booted/run on this machine. In this case the user would have to wait for SpinRite 7.0 UEFI Boot.

Also check the drive/SATA controller mode options.

If the only controller option is AHCI, then there is no point in running SR 6.0 on the machine as SR 6.0 cannot see AHCI drives.
SR 6.1, however, is fully compatible with AHCI controller mode.

If there is an ATA option (IDE/Legacy on older machines), select that for SpinRite 6.0. It is not necessary for SpinRite 6.1 but it will work just fine with it.

Save the changes and boot. Booting from SpinRite boot media should now work, and both SR 6.0 and SR 6.1 should run.

Caveat: The advancement of technology has not been kind to SpinRite 6.0.
Thus, SR 6.0’s BIOS dependence has created crippling restrictions for SR 6.0.
Slow BIOS I/O speed, a capacity limitation for large (>2.2 TB) drives, etc., may not permit SR 6.0 to perform as desired or in a practical manner.

Got a question? Post a Reply to ask.

Edited Oct 21, 2023 for SpinRite 6.1 applicability.

Last edited:
Thank you for that summary - it’s very helpful. I heard on the podcast today Steve talking about 7.x having an app for Windoze. (It wasn’t 6.1 that he was talking about was it?). I don’t use dozy Windoze, I use Linux Debian derivatives and MacOS. Will I be out of luck when 7.x is released?

Thank you for that summary - it’s very helpful. I heard on the podcast today Steve talking about 7.x having an app for Windoze. (It wasn’t 6.1 that he was talking about was it?). I don’t use dozy Windoze, I use Linux Debian derivatives and MacOS. Will I be out of luck when 7.x is released?
You are welcome for the summary.

The 7.x versions will boot up their own working environment, just like SpinRite 6.0 does and 6.1 will do. The OS is irrelevant. 7.0 looks to be dual boot for UEFI and BIOS systems. It will boot on Windows and Mac systems. 7.1 and 7.2 will add additional features not in 6.1. Please see the SpinRite Development Roadmap for more information.

I am not sure about Linux. A quick perusal of NG postings indicates that just might be possible. Perhaps someone with Linux experience could chime in here regarding that question.

Steve has talked on occasion about a SpinRite 8 that would be a Windows app running mainly in the background while the user runs other Windows apps in the foreground. .

Steve is currently deeply immeshed in SpinRite 6.1 development, getting ever closer to an eventual SpinRite 6.1 Beta 1 test release.

Steve is currently deeply immeshed in SpinRite 6.1 development, getting ever closer to an eventual SpinRite 6.1 Beta 1 test release.
Wow! Over half a year later and SR 6.1 is now almost in its 5th month of Alpha testing & development. Methinks it is quite likely now weeks rather than months away from Beta. I know Steve cannot get it there soon enough, but things cannot be rushed. It's coming, people! Just be patient a little bit longer. :)

I am not sure about Linux. A quick perusal of NG postings indicates that just might be possible. Perhaps someone with Linux experience could chime in here regarding that question.
As you said above, 7.0 will boot it's own environment, therefore there is no reason why it should not work on a Linux machine. In fact I have been running some of the 6.1 alphas on my Linux machine.

You are welcome for the summary.

The 7.x versions will boot up their own working environment, just like SpinRite 6.0 does and 6.1 will do. The OS is irrelevant. 7.0 looks to be dual boot for UEFI and BIOS systems. It will boot on Windows and Mac systems. 7.1 and 7.2 will add additional features not in 6.1. Please see the SpinRite Development Roadmap for more information.

Steve has talked on occasion about a SpinRite 8 that would be a Windows app running mainly in the background while the user runs other Windows apps in the foreground. .

The Macs will have to be older Intel x86 machines...not the newer ARM M based computers...correct?