Drive too large to handle

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

rlocone

Sep 25, 2020
Hello All,

I'm attempting to run Spinrite on a HGST 4T drive. Spinrite is barking about the partition and or the drive being too large to handle. I tried removing all of the partitions off of the drive and leave it blank. All I want at this point is for Spinrate to read the surface.

Thanks for your time and attention,

Sep 17, 2020
London UK
Hello All,

I'm attempting to run Spinrite on a HGST 4T drive. Spinrite is barking about the partition and or the drive being too large to handle. I tried removing all of the partitions off of the drive and leave it blank. All I want at this point is for Spinrate to read the surface.

I think you will have to wait for Spinrite 6.1 to handle drives as large as yours!

DanR

Dan
Sep 17, 2020
Hello All,

SpinRite 6.0 has a drive capacity limit of 2.2 TB. Any drive capacity beyond the first 2.2 TB will be inaccessible to SR 6.0.

SpinRite 6.1 (It's not here yet!) will not have this limitation; it will handle drives of any TB size.

A workaround: Partition the drive into 2 partitions of 2 TB each. Then SpinRite the partitions one at a time.

Note: When partitioning, choose NTFS or FAT 32, but not GPT. SR 6.0 does not do GPT (but SR 6.1 will).

drwtsn32

Sep 19, 2020
When partitioning, choose NTFS or FAT 32, but not GPT.

This doesn't quite make sense to me. GPT is a partition structure. NTFS and FAT32 are filesystem formats. I think you have to use GPT on disks over 2TiB in capacity (instead of the older MBR partition structure). SR 6.0 not supporting GPT is understandable.

Reactions: DiskTuna

DanR

Dan
Sep 17, 2020
This doesn't quite make sense to me. GPT is a partition structure. NTFS and FAT32 are filesystem formats. I think you have to use GPT on disks over 2TiB in capacity (instead of the older MBR partition structure). SR 6.0 not supporting GPT is understandable.
You are correct! GPT is a partition table format; not a file format. I made the classic mistake of assuming too much on the part of the reader. My bad! DUH!

Last edited: