Dicekeys - Anyone here looked at this interesting idea?

• Release Candidate 6
    Guest:
    We are at a “proposed final” true release candidate with nothing known remaining to be changed or fixed. For the full story, please see this page in the "Pre-Release Announcements & Feedback" forum.
    /Steve.
  • Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

SWG

Oct 24, 2020
I was intrigued by the implementation and concepts behind a key generator project by Stewart Schechter. I wonder if anyone here's been looking at it or talking about it.

DiceKeys ( https://www.wired.com/story/dicekeys-cryptography/ ) is a fun idea, but of little practical value. I guess if you're worried you might one day suffer a brain injury (or dementia or similar) and have a loved one you trust with your privacy and security, then maybe that is one way to pass on the key to your password vault or similar. It would seem just as easy to write down a password and seal it in an envelope which is maybe then locked in a safe or safety deposit box.

I have a brain injury and there were a couple of times when I was unable to remember my master password. It was the same feeling I get when I know there's a word I want to use in a sentence and it's "on the tip of my tongue" but I can't remember the word and have to use a synonym. Using a (nonexistent) synonym wouldn't work with a password, though. Instead, I let muscle memory type it for me, letting my arms and fingers move habitually while simultaneously attempting to recall the password, using that combination of methods to remember and to fix it more permanently in my brain.

Every brain injury is different, though, from what I've heard, and my experience might not be similar to anyone else's.

Reactions: Barry Wallis