Pending Confusion over access to SQRL and GRC Forums

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

MacNala3

Oct 5, 2021
I recently had to use my second PC to access the forums. In the past I have had problems with multiple account names MacNala, MacNala2, MacNala3.
This had to be resolved by Steve himself.
I have inadvertently caused a further confusion this morning by trying to access the SQRL forums and through it the GRC forums. I have not been successful in accessing either from my second machine which has the same SQRL identity and password. Installed. I would like to resolve all my multiple accounts to be accessible from my one SQRL id and use the same username MacNala and email address grc@alancameron.net.
Cam this be achieved?

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
If it's actually the same SQRL ID on both machines, it would work. I suspect you do not have the same SQRL IDs on both despite the fact that you may have coincidentally set the IDs you're using to the same password. Check the SQRL folders in My Documents on each machine to make sure there is only one .SQRL file, and confirm that they ARE identical (same timestamp or file hash or other means.)

MacNala

Sep 18, 2020
If it's actually the same SQRL ID on both machines, it would work. I suspect you do not have the same SQRL IDs on both despite the fact that you may have coincidentally set the IDs you're using to the same password. Check the SQRL folders in My Documents on each machine to make sure there is only one .SQRL file, and confirm that they ARE identical (same timestamp or file hash or other means.)
I cannot see how to compare the different SQRL Ids so I have reset the old-fashioned username and password and used it to access the forums here which correctly shows the username MacNala.
I have yet to see if I can access using the SQRL id from the myDocuments sqrl folder .

MacNala3

Oct 5, 2021
I cannot see how to compare the different SQRL Ids so I have reset the old-fashioned username and password and used it to access the forums here which correctly shows the username MacNala.
I have yet to see if I can access using the SQRL id from the myDocuments sqrl folder .
Which fails. It connects to the username MacNala3.
If I delete all the sqrl ids including this one and start from scratch should I be able to setup the username as MacNala or will it prevent a duplication?

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
cannot see how to compare the different SQRL Ids
I think Windows PowerShell is installed on almost any Windows PC. So press the Start button and then start typing powershell and see if it offers to start a new powershell command window. Assuming it will, try the get-filehash command. Here's an example usage:

Code:
PS C:\Utilities> get-filehash SpinRite.exe

Algorithm       Hash                                                                   Path
---------       ----                                                                   ----
SHA256          1AAC583305C0553FB52DF5C6328084B46844FAE7C9871E1D3E11CAAD1FA687CE       C:\Utilities\SpinRite.exe

And a note to anyone hoping to compare their SpinRite hash to mine... You cannot do that, because each copy of SpinRite is individualized with your serial number.

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
The first problem you should solve is getting the EXACT same SQRL ID on your two PCs. Make sure there is only one file in the SQRL folder, and make sure that it's the same (identical) single file on both PCs.

Then if you log in using that ID, it should log into the same account (on each forum) on each PC. Once you get to that state, then we can figure out what it will take to make it log into the correct "personality" on each forum.

DanR

Dan
Sep 17, 2020
Which fails. It connects to the username MacNala3.
If I delete all the sqrl ids including this one and start from scratch should I be able to setup the username as MacNala or will it prevent a duplication?

Nope! You are looking at this the wrong way!

Your forum user ID is NOT tied to your SQRL ID. It is tied to the forum. Your SQRL ID neither knows nor cares what your forum user ID is. When SQRL authenticates and logs you into either forum, you will then see the forum user ID associated with your profile for that forum.

Once you are logged into a forum, you can then go into your profile and easily change your forum user ID (for that forum) to whatever you wish it to be.

MacNala

Sep 18, 2020
Nope! You are looking at this the wrong way!

Your forum user ID is NOT tied to your SQRL ID. It is tied to the forum. Your SQRL ID neither knows nor cares what your forum user ID is. When SQRL authenticates and logs you into either forum, you will then see the forum user ID associated with your profile for that forum.

Once you are logged into a forum, you can then go into your profile and easily change your forum user ID (for that forum) to whatever you wish it to be.
Thanks to all who helped I will try to resolve this tomorrow.