Compatible processor types

• Release Candidate 6
    Guest:
    We are at a “proposed final” true release candidate with nothing known remaining to be changed or fixed. For the full story, please see this page in the "Pre-Release Announcements & Feedback" forum.
    /Steve.
  • Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

squirrel

Oct 4, 2020
Hi, I have sad news. My Dell T430 has just died. So I’m now looking for a suitable cheap replacement. I know that spinrite only runs on Intel processors. Would anyone know if Spinrite would run on this laptop with an AMD processor? I am right in thinking the AMD uses the full Intel instruction set? I’m worried that Steve’s new code might not run on a AMD processor. Thanks.

Dell Inspiron 15 3000 AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB 256GB 15.6 Inch Windows 11 Laptop​

A little late with a response here, but a more complete answer is that all versions of Spinrite are compatible with Intel, AMD and other processors that are capable of running DOS.

Your issue may be whether that machine can run DOS. Since it is Windows 11, it may not have a traditional BIOS, or any way to put it into Compatibility mode. It may be UEFI and Secure Boot only.

Your issue may be whether that machine can run DOS. Since it is Windows 11, it may not have a traditional BIOS, or any way to put it into Compatibility mode. It may be UEFI and Secure Boot only.

And with that we have to wait for the new version, right? Don't remember exactly but I think Steve has talked about Spinrite being possible on UEFI and Secure Boot systems in the new version(?)

Reactions: CredulousDane
SpinRite 7.x will be pure 32 bit apps with no dependence on BIOS or UEFI. They will boot and run in both environments while having no dependence on either.

Reactions: CredulousDane
no dependence on BIOS or UEFI
I will admit to not having studied this topic much. Doesn't UEFI require an encrypted executable signed by Microsoft or something? I thought that's what the Linux community was up in arms about, because their stuff wouldn't boot.

May your bits be stable and your interfaces be fast. :cool: Ron

I will admit to not having studied this topic much. Doesn't UEFI require an encrypted executable signed by Microsoft or something? I thought that's what the Linux community was up in arms about, because their stuff wouldn't boot.
Encrypted? No. Signed? Possibly

Steve believes he has a solution. We will not know more until SpinRite 6.1 is done and Steve can focus his attention on RTOS-32 and SpinRite 7.

May your bits be stable and your interfaces be fast. :cool: Ron
Short answer is: No.

UEFI, and its predecessor EFI, have been around long before Secure Boot, arriving around 2003 for Intel Itanium (IA-64) processors. 64-bit Windows 7 did support booting from an UEFI system on amd64 (or x86-64) CPUs.
Secure Boot was introduced in the late 2000s, early 2010s. This is the feature which, when enabled, requires a signed chain of trust (basically, similar to TLS’s PKI) to load firmware executables. Windows 8 was the first version of Windows to support Secure Boot.

As for Linux, nowadays, they can start on UEFI with Secure Boot enabled systems with little to no issues. They either provide a shim or they will sign their executables that allow them to start up.
The most unusual ones required a manual confirmation of the certificate by the firmware.

Reactions: Darcon and rfrazier