Can Beyond Recall be used as SSD/Flash Death Knell?

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

Ceyarrecks

Sep 29, 2020
Since the life expectancy of SSD & Flash drives is well-known, would Beyond Recall's "SpinRite-esk" ability be usable to literally fry each cell of an SSD/Flash to assure no information could EVER be lifted/discovered from said SSD/Flash drive thus rendering it unusable? [probable use in Top Secret-type environments]

rfrazier

Sep 30, 2020
@Ceyarrecks There's a whole industry around what's called "secure destruction". I don't know a lot about it other than I came across it in security research I was doing years ago. These vendors claim that physical destruction is the only reliable way to destroy old media with data on it. Of course, they have a vested interest in that. But, they also have a point. Not sure I buy the theory for operational spinning hard drives, which might be erasable (I'm not an expert). But for other media including SSD's, it could be a different story. I get very nervous when I go to a website to look for pricing and the only thing it says is "get a quote". I'm not necessarily recommending the following companies. They're just things I googled.

May your bits be stable and your interfaces be fast. :cool: Ron

Upvote 0

Ceyarrecks

Sep 29, 2020
In short, no. You can't "write a SSD to death." If will block your write(s), knowing it can't support any more of them,
Thank you for the response. which seems to suggest SSDs have a "safe the last bit" protocol, which in fact, would retain data, even though it sector is "marked" as unreadable.

Upvote 0

Ceyarrecks

Sep 29, 2020
@Ceyarrecks There's a whole industry around what's called "secure destruction". I don't know a lot about it other than I came across it in security research I was doing years ago. These vendors claim that physical destruction is the only reliable way to destroy old media with data on it. Of course, they have a vested interest in that. But, they also have a point. Not sure I buy the theory for operational spinning hard drives, which might be erasable (I'm not an expert). But for other media including SSD's, it could be a different story. I get very nervous when I go to a website to look for pricing and the only thing it says is "get a quote". I'm not necessarily recommending the following companies. They're just things I googled.

May your bits be stable and your interfaces be fast. :cool: Ron
Thank you for the response. consider also the use of the free program/ISO known as DBAN (Derrick's Boot and Nuke) which would use DoD standards to write zeros multiple times to each sector. Which of course, would fatigue said drive's ability to re-use each sector. But, this still does not suggest a thorough, UNRECOVERABLE drive.

Upvote 0