Automating Spinrite on a NAS?

• Release Candidate 6
    Guest:
    We are at a “proposed final” true release candidate with nothing known remaining to be changed or fixed. For the full story, please see this page in the "Pre-Release Announcements & Feedback" forum.
    /Steve.
  • Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Announcing “BootAble” – GRC's New Boot-Testing Freeware
    Please see the BootAble page at GRC for the whole story.
  • BootAble – FreeDOS boot testing freeware

To obtain direct, low-level access to a system's mass storage drives, SpinRite runs under a GRC-customized version of FreeDOS which has been modified to add compatibility with all file systems. In order to run SpinRite it must first be possible to boot FreeDOS.

GRC's “BootAble” freeware allows anyone to easily create BIOS-bootable media in order to workout and confirm the details of getting a machine to boot FreeDOS through a BIOS. Once the means of doing that has been determined, the media created by SpinRite can be booted and run in the same way.

The participants here, who have taken the time to share their knowledge and experience, their successes and some frustrations with booting their computers into FreeDOS, have created a valuable knowledgebase which will benefit everyone who follows.

You may click on the image to the right to obtain your own copy of BootAble. Then use the knowledge and experience documented here to boot your computer(s) into FreeDOS. And please do not hesitate to ask questions – nowhere else can better answers be found.

(You may permanently close this reminder with the 'X' in the upper right.)

airchie

Nov 9, 2020
Back when I had a NAS setup (A QNAP one!, glad it's no longer in use!) I used to worry about the drives degrading over time and data corruption etc.
I always wanted to have the ability to run Spinrite over them without having to power down the NAS or degrade the array by pulling a single drive to Spinrite it.
Then I had a thought, would it be possible to write a Spinrite loader for a NAS (appliance or home-made) that does some clever stuff to do it automatically without the need for a seperate machine?

My thinking went something like this:
Define a window or have some logic detect when the NAS was usually not in use or ready to enter a powersave mode
In that window, allow a drive (or all drives using individual VMs spun up for each drive) to be Spinrite'd
If a request for data comes in, the NAS can stop Spinrite and access the drives to do it's job
Spinrite can then be resumed on any drives that were not fully scanned as the NAS goes idle again

I'm not sure it's something that could be done with a NAS appliance as I suspect this would require pretty low-level access to the OS.
Possibly do-able on a home-grown setup running something like FreeNAS using some scripting?
In theory, Steve could partner with NAS manufacturers and help them achieve this in return for them chipping a huge chunk of change into his retirement fund that he'll never use since he'll never retire. :D

Wouldn't you love to see that though when buying a NAS appliance?
Drobo 8-bay NAS with Spinrite technology :)

PS, how do you tag people? I'd love to tag Steve to see his thoughts...

Thoughts?