Alternative Android OS ?

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.

Intuit

Dec 27, 2020

I don't really know anything about this and ran across it in an unrelated search.

Instead of forking all your data to Google, it seems like you're instead forking all your data to E.OS; maybe optionally in some aspects.

Google of course monitizes this; not sure how much E/OS is asking.

Aside from stealing my valued route to work LoL, I'm not morbidly concerned with Lord Google. I just want knowledge/control over what's running, what's sending and when it's sending.

Have you used it? Is there a good process and network management system?
Do you trust that it is being security patched in a timely manner?
How much are you paying or have paid?
Do you truly have the freedom to load normal apps without jumping through hoops?

What's your take on it?

Thanks.

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
DeGoogling an Android phone is as "simple" as building and installing AOSP? https://source.android.com/ Fact is, most of what people associate with their phone's utility is provided by Google or Apple, so it's pretty unclear that anyone else has the resources to make a phone you'd want to use without one of these two major players. Also, since the FBI/NSA now have experience fooling people into relying on spoofed OSes, I would be extra careful of any new entrant (and that is probably one of their ancillary intentions.)

Intuit

Dec 27, 2020
If you really have control, you should be able to add what you want and not be limited. So if you want to add something from Google back, should be free to do so.

Personally, the main one I'd loose is the Map app; presuming it's going to relay my path to work to others. 😋 Not morbidly concerned with Lord Google. Primarily want better visibility and control over processes and network. To that end I've been exploring ADB and will be looking for some good Task Manager and Outbound Firewall apps.

fcgreg

Oct 19, 2020
Northern California, USA
DeGoogling an Android phone is as "simple" as building and installing AOSP? https://source.android.com/ Fact is, most of what people associate with their phone's utility is provided by Google or Apple, so it's pretty unclear that anyone else has the resources to make a phone you'd want to use without one of these two major players. Also, since the FBI/NSA now have experience fooling people into relying on spoofed OSes, I would be extra careful of any new entrant (and that is probably one of their ancillary intentions.)
Just a quick note:
e/OS/ isn't a "new entrant" to the marketplace. They've been operating primarily in Europe for the past several years, are strong open-source advocates, and are building a "non-techie" smartphone platform (and ecosystem) for the mom-and-pop users in the world that want more privacy. Since not everyone is interested in (or able to) build their own phone services stack on top of LineageOS or GrapheneOS, etc. (which are fine Android-based OS's, by the way), e/OS/ is trying to fill that market need.

Here is a nice article that explains the differences between the top non-Google alternative phone OS's:

Intuit

Dec 27, 2020
Thanks for the article @fcgreg; will check it out.

This could be an alternative for the hoards of phones that are stuck on ancient software; either due to modifications from the vendor (such as an AT&T) or drop of support from the OEM (such as an LG).

Reactions: fcgreg

Dave

Dave Jenkins, N1MXV
Sep 16, 2020
Gardner, MA (USA)

Attachments

• 678abc05d9c622a02dcf242a7cddbce3.jpg
    678abc05d9c622a02dcf242a7cddbce3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 23