Account Associated Email address - Do we need one?

• Be sure to checkout “Tips & Tricks”
    Dear Guest Visitor → Once you register and log-in:

This forum does not automatically send notices of new content. So if, for example, you would like to be notified by mail when Steve posts an update to his blog (or of any other specific activity anywhere else), you need to tell the system what to “Watch” for you. Please checkout the “Tips & Tricks” page for details about that... and other tips!

/Steve.
  • Larger Font Styles
    Guest:

Just a quick heads-up that I've implemented larger font variants of our forum's light and dark page styles. You can select the style of your choice by scrolling to the footer of any page here. This might be more comfortable (it is for me) for those with high-resolution displays where the standard fonts, while permitting a lot of text to fit on the screen, might be uncomfortably small.

(You can permanently dismiss this notification with the “X” at the upper right.)

/Steve.

alt3rn1ty

Dec 27, 2020
For forums.grc.com do we need to have an associated email address?

I looked at my account and the change email to see if I can delete it, but you get a warning that you will need to revalidate your account, presumably via the new email you are supposed to give. So that does not look like I can delete my email address.

I log in here with Steve's Windows SQRL, and assumed - as per with the sqrl.grc.com site - that we would not need an email address.

Also in the sticky topic Forum Tips & Tricks https://forums.grc.com/pages/tips/, the following is mentioned ..
Notifications by Mail

Since we despise email SPAM, these forums are configured not to send email unless you request it. But that means if, for example, you want to know when Steve posts news of SpinRite or anything else to his blog forum, you must tell the system to let you know. It will not do that unless you ask.

So is the email requirement of this 'side' of the forum just for validation if nothing else?
Or can I somehow disable having an associated email address same as on the SQRL site?

Pretty sure the site will be encrypting my email address, and it's a throw away one anyway so no big issue if the sites hacked someday.
Apologies if I missed mention of the site behavior regarding emails when I joined this side of the forums.

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
It's an SPAM control (slow down) thing I suspect. I presume the extra loop through email verification slows down bots significantly.

alt3rn1ty

Dec 27, 2020
I recall Steve saying that on the SQRL forum site (in response to the very first user account I made there) that SQRL users should have the ability to purge ..

.. On this forums.grc.com site, using SQRL to make a new alt3rn1ty account, I have had to use an email address initially, but cannot find a way to purge the email address afterwards.

Account at sqrl.grc.com site .. No email address needed :

Capture0.PNG

Account at forums.grc.com .. Email address (I have obfuscated the image) can be changed ..

Capture1.PNG

But you have to enter a new valid email address, it will not allow you to enter nothing ..

Capture2.PNG

So there is no way on this side of the forum to not have an associated email address.

If I am using SQRL to login here, all the site needs is the sqrl nut, and associated name alt3rn1ty.

SQRL when used exclusively as a login method, does not need my email address, so I cant see it being used to slow down spam. Spam would need to be able to use my SQRL generated nuts, which .. they cant, unless they had pwned my machine, and know my SQRL password.

Last edited:

PHolder

Sep 16, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Yes, well this site is not that site. The rules there are not the rules here. etc... This forum has looser moderation than that one (for now), so that probably explains the difference.

alt3rn1ty

Dec 27, 2020
Found it, its in the Privacy policy (I went looking at the "Terms and Rules" instead) ..

What information we hold about you​

The type of data that we collect and process includes:

• Your name or username.
  • Your email address.
  • Your IP address.
Further data may be collected if you choose to share it, such as if you fill out fields on your profile.

That's fair enough, different sites have different needs, and I should have paid closer attention when joining this side :)

.. And that answers the OP question. 🎯

Last edited: